Chapter XVIII

Aquaria hadn't been able to visit Varian because of her duties, but she had sent him a letter so he knew she was still going to be there for the Empyrean Shower.

She walked into the stables to see how the horses were doing. She loved grooming Max and Fidella. Although, she especially loved braiding Fidella's mane and tail.

She walked over and saw Maximus looking upset in his stall.

"Hey, Max! What's going on, buddy?" She went to his side and sat down, gently putting her hand on his muzzle.

He just huffed and nuzzled against her hand.

"You've been acting so weird since Axel joined the guard. I know everyone is giving him the star treatment, but it's just a phase. He's just new and once everyone gets over it, you will still be our number one horse. You are still my favorite stallion even if everyone else is fawning over Axel. Nothing can change how awesome you are," Aqua said as she leaned against him.

He made a sound of content and she smiled.

"Cheer up, bud. Don't let Axel get under your hide," she murmured as she put her forehead to his. "No one will ever be able to replace the amazing Maximus. Now let's get you cleaned up. I brought you some apples."

Maximus perked up and sniffed her which made her giggle.

"Golden delicious," she said as she pulled out a large green apple which he quickly devoured. "And your favorite, Honeycrisp," she giggled as she pulled out the shiny red apple.

Max went to grab it from her, but she held it back.

"Ah ah ah, not until you get a bath and you are squeaky clean," Aqua said and he quickly stood up, going over to the wash stall.

Aquaria laughed and got up to follow him. She used the water tap to fill the bucket with water before adding the soap. She then grabbed another bucket to fill before getting Max all wet.

"You know what, you can have one now," Aqua said as she gave Max an apple which he gladly ate.

She scrubbed him down to make sure he was nice and clean.

"Upon one summer's morning, I carefully did stray down by the Walls of Wapping, where I met a sailor gay," Aquaria sang softly as she cleaned him. "Conversing with a young lass who seem'd to be in pain, saying, 'William, when you go, I fear you'll ne'er return again'."

Maximus listened and was relaxed by her voice.

"My heart is pierced by Cupid. I disdain all glittering gold. There is nothing can console me but my jolly sailor bold. His hair it hangs in ringlets. His eyes as black as coa-"

"Princess?" Steve walked in with Axel as she rinsed Maximus off with a bucket of water.

"Hello, Captain. What are you doing here?"

"I was going to get Axel settled in, but why are you using buckets? Don't you have magic?" The Captain asked as he looked at her.

"Yes, but sometimes I like doing things just like everyone else. It makes me feel more normal. But it does come in handy sometimes," she said as she put a hand on Maximus. She closed her eyes and all the water on Maximus evaporated, leaving him nice and dry.

"Well, would you mind giving Axel a bath?" Steve asked and Maximus frowned which Aqua noticed.

"Actually, it's pretty late and I better be off to bed. I can help give him a start though," Aqua said quickly before she moved her hand in a spherical movement. A ball of water formed between her hands and she threw it above Axel, letting it expand. The water fell on Axel to which Max grinned.

Axel huffed as he glared at the princess and Max.

"Goodnight, Captain. Come on, Max. Let's get you tucked in," Aqua said as she gave Max another apple, taking him back to his stall. "Oh, Captain, make sure Axel stays in his own stall tonight. He was in Max's this morning and that is unacceptable. Keep him away from Fidella too while you're at it. Thank you!"

She tucked Max in and left with a smile.

🧪

"One day left, Varian. Just get through tomorrow and then I'll ask her on Saturday. You've got this," Varian said to himself as he tried to think of a perfect place to watch the Empyrean Shower with Aquaria.

"Maybe my dad knows a place!" He wondered before running to find his dad.

"Varian, you're back earlier than normal," Quirin said when Varian came into the living room. He was used to his son stay in his lab extremely late, especially when Aquaria wasn't there to force him to go to bed.

"I need your help, dad. I asked Aquaria to watch the Empyrean Shower with me on Saturday but I need the perfect place to watch it with her. I-I uh... I wanna ask her to be my girlfriend during the shower," Varian said and Quirin was a little shocked. He knew that Varian liked the young princess but just hearing his son say he was gonna ask her out, it took him by surprise a little.

"Hmm. Actually, there's a place I took your mother to see the Empyrean Shower. It's near the edge of the kingdom, but still inside the walls. It's far enough from the city so the stars in the sky shine so much brighter. I can take you there tomorrow to show you the way," Quirin offered and Varian nodded quickly.

"Yes! Thanks, dad!" Varian hugged him tightly and smiled brightly. "This is gonna work. It has to. I would love to watch from the roof like we used to do when we would stargaze, but with all the rocks now... it's not really the scene I want."

"I understand. We will figure out this rock problem soon, son. I promise," Quirin said, wanting to keep his son away from the rocks. He knew what they were and he knew they were dangerous.

"I'm gonna head to bed so I'm ready for tomorrow's trip!" Varian ran up to his bedroom.

He was so excited to ask Aqua to be his girlfriend. He couldn't wait.

But what if it all went wrong?