25.

A/N:

Hey muggles,

Hoping you're enjoying the book so far, the story and characters mean a lot to me and I really appreciate everyone that has read and supported it. Without you, I would not be able to keep producing content! So thank you!!

Thank you all for everything! I hope you're keeping safe and well in this scary time.

Enjoy this chapter! xx

≿ ———————— ❈ ———————— ≾

"Now I would like to announce that Hogwarts will be holding a Halloween Ball this year," Dumbledore said from his pedastool at the front of the hall.

Many people cheered, and Maeve caught Remus' eye and couldn't help but grin at the now miserable look on his face.

"However," Dumbledore raised his hand for silence, "It will not be our usual costume party, apologies," he looked over to James and Sirius who now looked as miserable as Remus, who had now cheered up considerably, "but it will be a masquerade ball."

A masquerade ball? Interesting. Maeve raised an eyebrow at Remus, who nodded as if to say he was satisfied about that new announcement.

Maeve had already started thinking about what she would wear, of course, she was thinking green because then it could match her eyes? Or maybe red, that'd be good. Maybe strapless? Maybe-

"Maeve, dinner's over," she was nudged by Cissa, "Ready to go to the dorms and plan our outfits?"

"Already started it babe, already started," Maeve said, smirking, and linked arms with her.

≿ ———————— ❈ ———————— ≾

"I have a question for you Maeve," Cissa said as she came in from her shower.

"A question you thought of in the shower?" Liz asked, amused.

"Yes," Cissa said, not embarrassed.

"What is it?" Maeve asked impatiently.

"Why do you hate your birthday so much?" Cissa asked as she brushed out her long hair and paced the room, "You've never told us...and it seriously doesn't make sense to me."

"I've never wanted to talk about it," Maeve said, laying back in her bed and staring at the ceiling thoughtfully.

"Why not?" Cissa asked.

"Because...feelings are gross," Maeve shrugged.

"I feel you there," Liz said from her bed.

"Come on, you know you can talk to us about anything," Cissa said.

"But what if I don't want to?" Maeve said, as if it was the most simple thing in the world.

"I think you should still talk to us, you know it's healthy to talk about your feelings, Maevey," Cissa said.

Maeve groaned at this. She really could think of nothing worse than having to talk about her 'feelings'.

"You really want me to tell you?" She asked, frustrated, still laying back and staring at the nothingness above her.

"Yes!" Liz and Cissa said together, obviously both of them had always wanted to know.

It was one of the biggest conundrums in their friendship group: why did Maeve hate her birthday? They were all tired of it.

Maeve sighed finally and sat up, to face them. She avoided eye contact with him as she swallowed nervously. She had to say it now, or else she never would.