Chapter 1

"God damn, it," I said under my breath. I kicked the vending machine, the machine had eaten my 2 dollars. It won't even give me my caramel candies.

"I see old Grant has taken yet another poor kids money," a voice said from behind me.

"What? Who's Grant?" I turn around to see the chestnut-haired trickster,

"The vending machine, obviously," a little smirk appeared on his face, "let me try." He scooted in front of me. He shook the vending machine and then started pressing random numbers.

"What are you doing? Don't break the machine," I muttered, wondering why I even let him touch the vending machine.

"Don't worry about it, I know what I am doing," Noah said affirmatively. The machine beeped, and the candies fell out of their rack. Noah handed them to me.

"Here you go caramel," I roll my eyes at that stupid comment.

"Caramel? Really?"

"It's suits you," his insolent smile shining through, as he walked off towards the auditorium. At least I got my caramel candies.

"You sure took your time," my best friend Cathy said, "Its nearly time for my audition." I sit next min the free auditorium chair next to her.

"There was a problem with the vending machine," I thought back to that frivolous encounter with Noah. Something about him just gets on my nerves, whether it was that obnoxious smirk of his or the fact that he could actually get the vending machine to work, I don't know.

      "Okay I need you to help me run some lines for the audition," Cathy competed while ruffling through some papers.

"Fine, but I seriously think you're already prepared enough for the audition. You're a shoo-in for Sandy."

"Oh Alina, that is very sweet but there are so many people who could get it," she breathed, "Honestly it would make me feel better if I read through the dialogue a bit more. I have 'Fools fall in love' memorised and I've gone through it a million times, but I need to work on my dialogue."

"Okayyyyyy," I said sceptically, "This is very unlike you. What happened, did you get stage fright." A shy petite smile started to form on her face.

"No, it's just that it's my last year to get a lead role in high school," her eyes drooped ever so slightly, "and I truly want to have something to remember this year." Dramatic as always Cathy, but she did have a point. It was our last year of high school and honestly, there wasn't anything important or rememberable about this year so far.

       Cathy was called to do her audition, and she was doing a spectacular job. A familiar head of chestnut hair, caught my attention as he trailed a mop of black hair. Noah and his partner in crime Parker had passed in front of me, blocking me from seeing my talented friend. I never thought of Noah as a theatre kid or of someone who even knows about musicals, let a lot come and watch auditions. I swear to god, they better not be here to play a prank, and ruin Cathy's audition. I clench my fist at that idea. Calmly, I let the breath I didn't know I was holding. I re-assessed the situation, I remembered a very important detail. I have seen Parker in previous musicals. Noah must have been here to support Parker for his audition. They weren't going to ruin this for Cathy, but I'll keep an eye on them, just in case. I can't have anything ruin or distract Cathy from her audition.

       "You were amazing up there," I said as soon as Cathy came bouncing up the auditorium.

"Thanks, now all I have to do is wait," Cathy sighed, "Ugh, now the hard part. Waiting" Cathy twirled around, drooping her shoulders in her usual dramatic fashion.

Cathy and I had decided to celebrate by going to the mall. The mall can be quite a wondrous place. I know how stereotypical it is for a teenage girl to love the mall, but why truly is it such a bad thing. There are so many great things about it. The clothing stores, the restaurants, the cinema, the arts and craft stores and most importantly the book store. Cathy and I go to the Häagen-Daz, our tradition. Ever since diapers, Cathy and I would come here with our parents. Throughout the years whether it be me getting on the honour roll or Cathy completing her audition with no issues. Hell, sometimes even when we just want to. Honestly, I would have tried to get a job here, if it wasn't for the fact that there was an opening for a job in Barnes and Noble.

Cathy ordered her usual cookies and cream with sprinkles and legitimately all the sauces available.

"You are a dentist's worst nightmare,"

"Oh Lina, you know this isn't the worst thing I've done to my dentist," her sly wink causing a smile to start form due to unbelievable she can be at times.

"Your caramel ice cream is done," the cashier handed me, my usual order.

"Honestly, you are very predictable," Cathy scoffed.

"Just because I like to keep to what I know, does not mean I'm predictable," I said rolling my eyes, "You, however, are very predictable, whatever is the sweetest is what you're going to pick."

Cathy hooked her arm into mine, her blond hair bouncing behind her as we walked, well Cathy skipping, back towards her car.

"You know I think it's quite ridiculous that they're making you audition for Sandy," I quipped.

"And why is that? Shorty," her chocolate eyes gleamed.

"You are the actual embodiment of Sandy," I said trying to keep up with her large skips.

"The brown eyes, Lina," Cathy said, her smile illuminating with the fact that she had corrected me.

"And the fact that you aren't going to change yourself for any guy right?" I mocked, punching her shoulder awkwardly with my other hand.

" I wouldn't dream of it," she giggled, "but if I did, you would be there to stop me if I ever so did as much as think of it ."

Her giggles sprinkling throughout the car park as she dragged me towards her car.

AN/- Hey there, this is the dumbass in smartassndumbass. This is our first story we're publishing on Wattpad and we hope you enjoy it. We are going to be uploading every Saturday and it's going to be alternating between each of us. 

Here's a question for today:

Q: What book series got you into reading?

A:

Dumbass- Percy Jackson and the Olympians. Uncle Rick sure did a number on me as a kid.

Smartass-Red Queen. #TeamMaven4Life

Remember to vote and comment