sixteen

At eight weeks, Niall was beginning to feel a bit bloated. He knew that there was no way that he had a bump yet, but it felt like there was. Louis was fumbling around for his car keys.

"Niall, where are the keys?" Louis yelled. Niall was fumbling around to find a sweater to wear.

"How should I know?" Niall yelled back. He finally found a sweater of Liam's that would cover his hands. "I don't drive!"

"This is your house?" Louis asked softer. He spoke mostly to himself. he found them, eventually. "Niall, I've found the keys, and it's nearly time for your appointment!"

"I'm coming, Lou!" Niall answered. He slipped on a pair of skinny jeans that began to feel a bit too tight and took his shoes in his hand.

"We're nearly late," he told Niall as he walked into the room. "Put your shoes on in the car. We need to go now."

Niall nodded at Louis' words and headed out to the car. Louis followed after him.

-

"Hello, Niall," Doctor Bowen greeted as she walked into Niall's room. Niall waved back. For some reason, his heart was pounding just as much as he had been four weeks ago. "Louis." She nodded in his direction.

"Can we hear the heartbeat today?" Niall asked nervously. He was a bit sad that Liam wouldn't be with him to hear the baby's heartbeat for the first time, but he consoled himself with the fact he would be telling Liam tonight.

That was a scary thought.

"We should," Doctor Bowen confirmed. "And we should be able to see a little something on the screen today too. Enough to confirm that it's a baby, anyway." Both Niall and Louis heaved a sigh of relief. "Now, if you could lay back."

Niall did as he was told and leaned backward onto the bed. "I'm nervous," he admitted.

"No need to be nervous. Maybe a little nervous of how cold this gel is." Doctor Bowen laughed a bit. "As previously warned, this is cold."

Niall sucked in a deep breath as the gel touched his stomach. "Cold," he whimpered. Louis snorted from the corner, and Niall looked over and glared at him. Louis covered his mouth.

"And here is your baby!" Doctor Bowen announced. "Let's see if we can hear the heartbeat." She moved the wand around a bit until a small, steady thump, thump, thump filled the room. Niall's eyes watered, and his hands gripped tightly at his jeans.

"Oh my God," Niall whispered. He neglected to notice Louis videoing his reaction and the baby's heartbeat. "This is amazing."

"It's always emotional, hearing the baby's heartbeat for the first time." Doctor Bowen winked at Louis' camera.

"I wish Liam were here," Niall muttered to himself.

"He could be," Louis spoke up. He put his camera away as Niall looked over at him. "What? You know he could be."

"I'm telling him tonight," Niall shot back. "Maybe. Can I get one of those pictures?"

-

Louis bought Niall a pair of newborn footie pajamas in celebration. "Where am I supposed to put these?" Niall asked in desperation. "I can't hide these from Liam!"

"Don't hide it," Louis shrugged. "Put it up on your bed with the ultrasound. Tell Liam when he gets home that you got something for him in the bedroom. Send him up to see it. How he acts next is his choice, and he can compose himself before he comes back down to you."

"That actually sounds like a good idea," Niall said softly. "I'll do it."

"That's good, because I was going to do it myself if you disagreed." Louis hummed. "Well, have fun. Get out of the car."

Niall giggled to himself and got out of the car. "See you later, Lou."

"Bye, Niall!" Louis gave Niall a final smile and watched as Niall shut the door. Niall watched him drive away.

Liam wasn't home yet, which was good. It gave Niall time to let the news sink in. The sound of his baby's heartbeat was still thumping in his ears. He wished Liam would have been able to hear it.

"Maybe next time," Niall whispered to himself. He took the bag that held the baby's footie pajamas upstairs to put it on the bed. He pulled the ultrasound picture out of his pocket and put it next to it.

Maybe Liam would like it. Niall hoped Liam would accept the fact that he was having a baby. It was their baby.

-

"Hi, princess," Liam greeted Niall with a kiss on the cheek. Niall turned and gave him a smile. "How was your day?"

"It was okay," Niall said passively. "I bought something for you. It's up on the bed. Go take a look."

Liam gave Niall another kiss and headed back upstairs to change and see what Niall got him. The blonde smiled a little bit and really hoped with everything he had that Liam wouldn't get mad at him.

It was nearly ten minutes before Liam came back down. "Are you serious?" Liam asked in amazement. "Really?" He rushed over from his place in the doorway and hugged Niall.

"It's true," Niall confirmed with watery eyes. "Are you happy?"

"Really fucking happy. God, you're amazing." Liam clutched him tighter.

"Might I remind you that you did have some part in the making of the child." Niall giggled a bit and kissed behind Liam's ear.

"Can I tell you that I already knew about the baby?" Liam whispered. Niall pulled back and looked at him with a shocked face.

"How?" He whispered.

"I saw the ultrasound picture at four weeks. It fell out of your back pocket when I put you to bed," Liam answered softly. "I was so happy, but I decided to let you tell me instead of asking about it."

"Thank you," Niall whispered. "I wish you could have been there to hear the baby's heartbeat."

"Next time," Liam murmured against Niall's lips. "Next time."

•-•

helllooooo

this chappie is still boring

my butt hurts and so does my back

i'm done complaining

so comment, yeah?

baiiii

1028 words

5.12.14