𝙸- 𝙳𝚎𝚙𝚛𝚎𝚜𝚜𝚒𝚘𝚗, 𝚙𝚒𝚗𝚔 𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝚓𝚘𝚢

Morrigan had her mind elsewhere on this rainy day at the Deucalion. This winter break seemed to go on forever, and she would have given anything to go back to the Wunsoc Campus. At that moment, even seeing Murgatroyd, the Arcane Arts Scholar Mistress of the Wundrous Society, would give her immense pleasure. Jupiter being once again on the move, and Jack not being at the Deucalion for the holidays, Morrigan felt very lonely. Even the members of her unit spent their holidays with their families. Oh, the hotel staff had tried to get her out of her depression, but nothing worked. Neither the wonderful party's of Frank the vampire dwarf, not the sweetness of Martha the housemaid, nor even the wonderful voice of Dame Chanda Kali. Lying on one of the benches in the Smocking Parlour, Morrigan sighed with all her soul.

'' Well my dear, '' said a voice behind the pale pink smoke curtain. '' Does the scent of the day give you no satisfaction ? ''

Surprised, Morrigan squinted to see through the smoke curtain. She immediately recognized Dame Chanda, seated elegantly on her bench, eyes closed, relaxed.

'' No, not really, '' replies the girl. '' I'm bored to death. When will Jupiter return ? ''

Morrigan must have asked this question to the hotel staff a good billion times. But, each time, they gave her the same answer.

'' Not immediately, sweetheart ''

Dame Chanda gave her a tense smile, and Morrigan's heart faded a little more. Suddenly no longer wanting to breathe the scent of the day ( all-sweet-and-all-pink scent to "erase boredom and stress from her body"), she decided to go down to the hotel's lobby, where normally, something was always going on.

'' Morrigan ! '' Exclaimed Martha, reassured. '' You ended up showing the tip of your nose ! I've been looking for you everywhere ! '

A big smile crossed her face. Morrigan may loved Martha, she didn't understand what could be so delightful in such a bad day.

'' He has returned ! '' She cries, seeing that Morrigan was not reacting.

'' Who returned ? '' She asked, knowing full well who Martha was talking about.

But she didn't want to have false hopes. She couldn't bear another disappointment today. So she tried at all costs to extinguish with all her strength this little flame that had just lit in her heart. Just in case.

'' I'm talking about Captain North ! He has returned ! And he's waiting for you in his office. He wanted to surprise you, but since we had no idea where you were ...''

Morrigan's happiness exploded in a merry fireworks of shouts of joy, of jumps in the lobby, with the delicious laugh of Martha, and the looks from the customers. Kedgeree, the concierge, walked to them.

'' Morrigan, Jupiter doesn't look very well. So if you could be... indulgent towards him, it will be very nice if you. Believe me, he's terribly angry with himself for not having been there for you these past few days. But he had no choice ''

'' HE'S FORGIVEN ! '' Howled Morrigan, already running up the stairs to join her patron in his office.

As soon as she got there, she opened the office door on the fly. Jupiter didn't even blink, and jumped up of his seat to hug Morrigan. Definitely, they had really missed each other. His flamboyant red beard tickled her face. But she didn't care.

'' How are you doing, my little Mo....''

Jupiter stopped short in his sentence when Morrigan where closer to him. He seemed stunned.

'' But, Mog... what is.... all that ! '' He exclaims, making ridiculous gestures around her as if he were chasing a fly.

'' You don't like my cut ? I was thinking... "

'' Morrigan ''

The authoritarian voice of Jupiter made her close her mouth immediately. He wasn't kidding.

'' Tell me what's wrong ''

'' Nothing ! All is right, why are you...''

'' Don't lie to me, Mog '' he breathes, looking a little disappointed. '' I can see it, you know that very well ''

Nothing could make Morrigan more sad than the disappointed voice of her patron.

'' It's just that you left for a long time and... I missed you '' she finally admits.

'' Mog...'' he reprimands her gently, taking her to sit on an chair near the fire. '' I already told you, it's important to not let your negative emotions control you. You know why... your Wunder could use it against you ''

'' I'm sorry... but if it can reassure you, " she said with a big smile, '' now that you're back, I'm feeling much better ! ''

'' I'm delighted to hear that, '' he says, a sad little smile on his lips.

Seeing that her patron was not at his best, she watched him making their tea for a few seconds, ruffling sometimes his tangled red hair. He didn't seem to have slept for several days. Morrigan may not had the power of Jupiter's Witness, but she can see when he's not okay. When he came back to sit by her side, she ventures to ask him the question.

'' Jupiter... are you okay ? ''

Disturbed for a few seconds, he looked at her for a while before answering.

'' Let's say that I haven't had the best month, Mog. I have lo...''

He doesn't continue his sentence, realizing that he had gone too far.

'' You have what ? '' Ask Morrigan, now eager to know the rest.

'' Nothing, forget it, '' he said quickly, taking a sip of his hot tea. '' So how did you keep yourself busy while I was away ? ''

'' No way, you won't change the subject once again, Jupiter. You said too much, now I want to know ''

Her patron observed her for a few seconds, amused and a little contrite.

'' Since when did you grow up that much ? '' He asks her, nostalgic, a hand under his chin. '' Well... after all, I think you're tall enough, I can tell you. This week, two of my childhood friends were found dead. The Stealth asked me for help, and I had to attend the funeral. That's why I was not there ''

Morrigan felt a huge radiation of guilt eating up her whole body.

'' Oh my god... Jupiter, I'm so sorry ! And I was complained because I was bored... "

'' Don't be sorry, Mog '' he said with a few dead tears in his eyes. '' You couldn't have known ''

He took her hands, and pressed them gently.

'' And after all, I missed you a lot too, you know ! '' He adds with a wink.

Morrigan wondered if it was to feign indifference, or to chase away his tears. But, she didn't think about it any longer since Jupiter snatched her cup from her hands, and already took her into the hotel to catch up all the time lost. A big smile on her lips, her heart full of happiness despite the bad news, she didn't stop herself to sighing with pleasure.

As the warm hand of Jupiter squeezed the small and cold of Morrigan, the depression of these last days was quickly forgotten.