9

Midnight fell in Aslan's country and I still haven't gone to sleep

Midnight fell in Aslan's country and I still haven't gone to sleep. If I could control the nightmares I had Everytime I shut my eyes, I would be asleep by now, but I just can't.

I walk to the back of the Dawn Treader, keeping a tight grip on the tail of the dragon ship, I sit down, dangling my feet with the ocean below me. I take off my necklace and open the heart locket. Memories flood my mind as I think of my mother's death.

(A/N: I edited the first chapter about her mother's death. If you don't know, she went missing for two days and was found frozen dead. Sorry hehe)

"Are you alright?" said a sleepy voice from behind me.

I turn my head to find Lucy in her nightgown holding a small candle.
I quickly close my locket and wear the necklace "Lucy? Why are you up so late?".

"I... I heard you..." Lucy rubs her eyes sleepily.

I stood up and walked to her,"I'm so sorry for waking you up."
"I think I'm blessed somehow. Everytime I get out of my bed, some angel follows behind."

We share a quiet giggle as we sit down at the edge of the sleeping ship.

"Is something troubling you?" Lucy asks curiously.
"I hope you don't get angry, but your room is right next to mine and Susan and I heard you crying. The difference is, Susan can sleep through it and I can't." she explains nervously, trying to maybe get me to laugh at that last bit.

I giggle to not worry her.

Then I took a deep breath and sighed. "I'm sorry for disturbing you, Lucy. I was just having... a nightmare." I look down at my fingers that were fiddling with each other. Something I do when I'm nervous.
I look at her again, "I just chose not so sleep anymore so I don't-"

"Cry?" she interrupts sympathetically, knowing that if I said it, I might've broken down into tears then and there.

"Exactly." I nod gently.

"What did you dream about?" she tilts her head, anxiously waiting for an answer.
Then she pauses for a brief moment.
"Oh, forget I said that. You don't have to tell me if you aren't comforta-"

"No, no. It's okay. I prevented you from sleeping so it's only fair. Though I wouldn't call it a dream." I said, raising an eyebrow.

"Right, nightmare." she corrected herself.

I sighed heavily.

I looked down,"It was... about my mother."

"What happened to her? Is she alright?" Lucy says with her tone getting more worried.

"I-I keep having replays of her death.." I try to explain to Lucy.

"Oh no... I'm so sorry about your mother." She says sympathetically as she places a hand on my shoulder trying to comfort me.