02. Frank Gallagher Search Party

Carl Gallagher sat in Bella's room, watching as she brushed her hair. He grinned at the very sight of her, he loved the way she looked when she wasn't yelling at him. He watched her, her hand wrapped around the pink brush as she thought of what to do with it. She was a good distraction for him, he wasn't even thinking of the reason that he came over to her house in the first place. Today was the start of their 4-day-weeked, a kid brought a knife to school and tried to stab another kid so the school was temporarily shut down and he had big plans to do absolutely nothing except hang out with Bella.

"What should I do with my hair?" She asks, turning around to face the boy on her bed.

"Just leave it" He says. "I like when you wear it down" Carl says and she nods, putting the brush back on her vanity. She knows he only likes her hair down because whenever they wrestle and he pulls out her hairtie it just makes her hit him harder. They sit on the pillows in front of her window, the one that gave a straight view of the Gallagher house.

Frank walks out, with a bloody face and his signature denim jacket he wore. They can tell he's saying something, probably complaining as he swings his arms about. A black car starts up as he walks and seems to be following him. "What happened?" Bella asks Carl and he sighs.

"He came home drunk and headbutted Ian" Carl explained. "Gave him a bloody nose" Bella watches the man stumble out of sight and pretty soon the car is out of sight too.

"That car's been outside a few days" She says but Carl already knows. "Who is it?"

"Disability guys. Trying to prove that Frank's faking it" He explains and she nods, sounds about right. "What do you wanna do today?" He asks and Bella shrugs.

"We could play some board games. I don't feel like going outside" She suggests, and pulls out the games that were under her bed. He looks through the selection, grabbing 'Sorry' and tosses it on her bed. "We can order a pizza later too if you want" Bella says and she doesn't even have to look before knowing that Carl is nodding excitedly.

That was how they spent their day, in her room playing games and eating junk food. Only leaving when one had to use the restroom or when Carl would get mad about losing and sit in the hallway. He liked it at her house, it was quiet and no one could bother them. But sometimes he wished that Bella lived with someone, especially on the days where she seemed sad to be so alone.

"Can I spend the night?" He asks and she nods, looking through some movies she had bought for their lazy Thursday. Bella lays back on her bed with a sigh and Carl can immediately tell there's something on her mind. "What's wrong?"

"I dunno" The girl shrugs, looking around her room. "I just hate being the only one here" Bella says and he nods understandingly. "It sucks"

"Well you're not the only one here" Carl says, grabbing her hand. "I'm here too. I always will be" And she kisses his cheek, making him turn bright red. She laughs at his face, it's like she's never kissed him on the cheek before.

At least I have Carl she thinks and they continue what they're doing, watching The Addams Family and eating some leftover pizza.