Prologue

Gray eyes glare through the tinted window as trees pass by rain pouring. Alfred stops the car in front of the cemetery and steps out opening the door for the 4 year old girl. He holds a pink umbrella with polka dots over her head.

He looks down at her noticing the tears falling down from her eyes. Bruce, Jason and Dick all step out of the car. "Miss Olive are you ready? We could stay here for a while longer." Olive looks up at him her eyes clouded over.

"Can we get ice cream after?" she asked grabbing his hand. Alfred nods and gently pulls her in the direction of the crowd of people surrounding a grave stone.

"She's taking this well." Jason muttered tucking his hands into his pockets. Dick nods and follows them to the gravesite.

The four man watch the girl's face as the priest blesses the graves of her parents. Her face is emotionless as she stares at the picture of her smiling parents. Her mother's brown skin glowing as she smiles hugging her husband.

One tear falls from her eye as she stares. Bruce walks closer and picks her up holding her close to his chest as she cries out. She held him tight as the realization that her parents were actually dead finally kicked in.

She starts to hiccup as the priest finishes. He places her on the ground as the walks towards the grave and drop their roses on top of the coffins. The rest of the boys followed his lead.

"I'm ready to go now." she whispers to him pulling on his suit jacket. He nods and walks through the crowd of people who send the young girl their condolences. Jason and Dick stay behind them with their heads held down.

Alfred stands by the car holding the door open as the kids slide in Jason sits in between Olive and Dick. "It'll get better Oli. You still have us." She nods her head and continues to look out of the window.

Bruce and Alfred stand outside of the car to say goodbye to the other people who attended. One little boy with light blue eyes walks towards them nervously wringing his fingers. "Hello there,can I help you with something?" Alfred asks bending down on one knee.

"Is Olive gonna live with you guys now since her parents are dead?" His mother gasps and lightly smack the back of his head. He ignores his mother's apology and walks around the car to Olive's side while she apologized.

She smiles slightly and rolls down her window. "Hey Aden." he leans forward on his tippy toes and looks into her eyes.

"Olive, I know you're not feeling well right now, but I want you to know that I'll still be here no matter what." She tears up and holds out her right pinky.

"Pinky promise?"

He smiles and loops his pinky with her's. "No pinky swear. Promises are for babies." She giggled.

"So you're not a baby?" He gives her a nasty but playful look.

"No I'm a man. A big strong man who can eat Mac and Cheese by himself and not make a mess." She rose her eyebrow at him. "Not a big mess."

"Whatever, wanna come to my new house? I'm sure Uncle Bruce will allow it, we can have a sleepover like we used to." Aden smiles and finally noticed two other people in the car. He only noticed because of the not so nice looks they were giving him.

"Sure I'll ask my mom." he tapped her forehead and ran off.

He walks up to his mom who was trying and failing to come up with an appropriate reason for her son's sudden rudeness. "I'm sure he was just worried him and little Olive have always been close. He calls her his little promise." They all chuckled at that. "She helped him when my husband died a few years ago, he was cooped up in his room until she came to visit with her mother."

"They are close. I'm sure he'll be paying her a visit soon." Bruce mused. "He's welcome to stop by anytime."

"Thank you, Mr. Wayne. I'm not sure how I'd manage if they were separated she truly does bring out the best of him. She even made him clean his room once. 'Maids are still people and only babies need to have someone clean for them' is what she told him." They smile and notice his little footsteps running towards them.

He runs to his mom and pulls her hand. "Mom can I go see Olive's new house. I want to make sure it's a suitable living place before she gets too comfortable." He whispers the last part and gives Bruce and Alfred the side eye.

Alfred scoffs and goes to the driver seat. "You'll have to ask Mr. Wayne." She smiles and looks up at him. Aden turns around and stands in from of him.

"Hey, Olive is sad and I'm her bestest friend so I have to protect her. Which means I need to go to your house at least 6 times a week." He tells Bruce crossing his little arms with a pout on his face. "She also helps me with my homework because math is hard for me." He adds.

"Alright whatever you say little man." He opens the car door and watches as he climbs over Jason and Dick to sit next to Olive. He says goodbye to his mother and gets into the car.

He glances back in the rear view mirror and see Olive's smile for the first time in weeks as the boys argue over which superhero is better.

"Batman is better than Superman." Olive argued glaring at Arden.

"How, he only comes out at night and Superman saves people throughout the day." Arden shrugs looking away thinking he's won.

"That's because Bad guys come out during the night, like vampires." She whispers the end.

"Lil, vampires aren't real." He tells her. " I told you not to watch Blade, now look at you."

"There might be day walkers and we'll never know until they snatch us up and suck our blood to become immortal. Wait does that make us immortal?" She asked her grey eyes wide.

"No, they have to give you their blood, snap your neck and then you're a vampire." Dick and Jason give the little kid a weird look. They smile when they realize that Olive isn't sad, almost as if she forgot the whole funeral thing.

"That's intense." She says. "I don't want to be a vampire, I'd rather be a wolfwere." Arden rolls his eyes scooting over close to her.

"It's a werewolf, not whatever you just said." Bruce watches as the bicker back and forth with a small smile on his face.