5

"Look at who's shoving their tongue in who's throat again.", Pete comments, I hold a hand up in front of him and he shuts up.

"No need to point it out.", I hiss at him and he only shrugs in response.

"It's literally lunch period Ryan. How long can these two go without touching each other?"

"Less than a second.", I say and Pete lets out a small laugh.

"Bet."

I could only smile and wish how that could be me in Brendon's arms.

Wait, what?

Sarah pulls away from Brendon for the first time in forever and looks in our direction before beaming a smile. Look, Sarah is a sweetheart. She's pretty and cool, I understand why Brendon would like her. She's got a great personality and probably would win an Oscar for her looks. That aside, she's considered to be 'popular' and so is Brendon, no wonder they work so well together.

Sometimes, I feel like I portray Sarah as the enemy but she's just as innocent. I don't hate her, it's just that she's killing me even more.

"I'm sorry if Bren' and I are being too touchy around you guys, I understand that no one wants to see us being all lovey-dovey.", she says before glancing at her boyfriend. "How about we just talk and try to get to know each other more? I'm sure you won't hate me as much."

Thank god. I might as well throw up and puke all over their shoes if I see them make out once more.

Sarah looks to Brendon and he nods. He doesn't seem to be so happy about being unable to show affection but he's got to deal with it. After all, he should respect Sarah, her decisions and her boundaries if he truly loved her.

"How about we all go and hang out after school?", she offers. "We can go to the mall as long as you guys are fine with it."

"I'm up for it as long as you are, babe.", Brendon says, giving her a kiss on the cheek.

Sarah blushes with a flustered smile and playfully pushes him back. "Oh stop it."

Ugh. Kill me already.

I could hear my heart beating out of my chest and my head began to hurt. The doctor said this was normal, right?

"I don't see why not.", Pete answers and he nudges my shoulder. I look to him and then back to Sarah before letting out a sigh.

"Sorry, I can't go.", I say, Pete didn't expect that to come out of my mouth and I'm sure Sarah is just as disappointed. "I've got a bit of extra reading to do as homework for English tonight. I don't want to excuse myself and ask for an extension all because I decided to slack off instead of setting work as my top priorities."

Sarah frowns. "Don't worry then, you can always come next time!", she exclaims. "In fact, why not tomorrow?"

I think to myself for a moment before shaking my head. "Sorry, no can do. I already have plans with my mom.", I lie and she frowns.

Truth be told, I don't want to go anywhere with them especially if he is there too. I can't even look at him without feeling my stomach flop, hell, I can't even speak 'cause I'd have to run to the bathroom just to throw up.

"Don't worry Sarah, Ry' can always come with us when he's free.", Brendon assures her, wrapping an arm around her waist. I keep my eyes darted on the ground and nod in response. He's just acting, he's only saying these things just to cover up what happened between us.

"I'm going to go now, I don't want to be late for class.", I manage to say, I pick up my backpack and leave, running up the stairwell as I quickly open the door and step into the hallway. I begin to walk, letting a sigh escape my lips.

It's okay. Just a few more hours and you'll be home.

"Hey Ryan! Wait!", I stop and turn around to face Pete, I cock my head at an angle and give him a forced smile. "You forgot your jacket."

"Oh. Uh - thanks Pete.", I say and reach out as he stares at my wrist.

"Oh hey! I forgot that your birthday was like last week, who's your Soulmate?", I try to pull back but Pete manages to get a hold of my arm, reading the name and his smile fades in a snap. He then looks back at me and tries to find the right words. "I - no - you're kidding, right?"

I stay quiet.

"There's no way that this is - hell - okay, there has to be another Brendon in this town, right?", and as much as I wanted tell him 'yes, he's another Brendon, definitely not the Brendon we know' but I couldn't because that wasn't the truth.

Pete now knows that I'm a Glitch. He found out in the worst possible and now, he's going to think I'm a freak.

Pete accepts my silence, he lets go of my hand. "You're avoiding him because you're going to die, right?"

"Yes.", I finally croak out and Pete just stands there, processing the information before nodding.

"How much longer?"

"Five months."

He pulls me in for a hug and in that moment, I've never needed anything else but to be in someone's hold. Just like that, the tears began to pour and I cry into his shirt.

"I'm sorry Pete. I didn't mean for you to find out this way.", I choke out between my sobs and he only hushes me.

"Don't be sorry, you're going to be okay.", he assures me, rubbing my back in a circular motion.

I wish I was okay.