16

Detention isn't one of my favourite places, I mean, I have bad memories from of this place. It constantly reminds me of the kind of person I used to be, I wasn't the smartest in ninth grade.

All I cared about was being reckless so acting young and menace was what I did.

I couldn't think straight (it's probably because I'm not straight ahaha) and it had a negative impact on me. Even if this place is hell, Ryan was able to get me out, even if it meant sacrificing himself.

We would laugh it off, go to the nearest convenience store and buy ourselves slushies. Then we would get a brain freeze from drinking too fast and we'd laugh again, enjoying each other's company.

Wait, sorry - that's a story for another day.

With Ryan here, I think it's safe to say that this room is officially one of my favourite places now (even if this isn't an ideal place to say 'I love you' and stuff).

At least we're taking small steps. I just need to spend all the time I can with him before he dies - god - it hurts to just think of Ryan dying. The thought of him being gone breaks my heart, I can't see my future without him.

Sappy and cliche, I know.

Anyways, detention is finally over. I normally despise it but since Ryan was with me, it made the hour worth waiting especially since I get to take him out afterwards.

"Are we going to leave him there?"

I turn around, glaring at Eric. "Screw him. Of course we are."

And we leave the school.

We stop at my house, I offer to bring in his stuff for him.

"Brendon? Where have you been?", is the first thing I hear as I step inside the house. "It's quarter past four. Doesn't school end at three?"

"I - uh - I went to the library to study for my upcoming quiz. Sorry, I should've called and told you.", I quickly stammer out, hoping that she doesn't question anything else.

My mom hums in response. "Alright.. It's okay Bren.", she answers with slight hesitation, it sounds like she's been defeated.

I drop off our backpacks, zipping mine open to get out my wallet. I let out a small sigh.

Things have to go perfectly, I will literally beat myself up if something goes wrong.

This feeling is different compared to when I took Sarah out on dates, she was more in control. I'd go wherever she wanted to keep her company.

Now that I think about it, were they really even considered dates?

I shake my head, shoving my wallet into one of my pockets.

"Hey mom? Ry' and I are going out."

"That's fine, don't stay out too late!", she calls back, I give her a nod as I swing on my favourite leather jacket. "But-" oh my god, of course there's a 'but'. "-isn't it a Wednesday? You normally take Sarah out on Wednesdays, right?"

I feel my body freeze.

Shit.

I slowly turn around, fidgeting with my hands. "Uhh.. yeah but Sarah couldn't make it today.", I lie. "That's why I'm hanging with Ryan. We haven't talked in a while, I thought it would be nice for us to hang out again."

"I thought you went to his house last Saturday.", she ponders, setting one of the dishes aside. "Did anything happen between you and Sarah? Oh, I hope nothing bad did. I'm just glad that you have someone as lovely as Sarah as your Soulmate."