15

"Ryan, are you sure you want to walk to school?", my mom asks, handing me over my backpack. I thank her, swinging it over my shoulder before she hands me an umbrella. "It's raining outside and during times like this, wouldn't you prefer for me to drive you?"

"No, it's fine mom.", I say as I accept the umbrella out of her hands. "Asides, Pete is walking with me so I won't be alone."

She lets out a sigh. "Okay, at least you're not alone.", she mumbles, the doorbell rings and she immediately wipes the frown off her face before pulling me into her arms. "Stay safe Ryan, and have a good day at school! Love you."

I hug her back. "Love you too mom."

We pull away and I turn to the door, giving my mom one last wave before slipping on my shoes and stepping outside onto the front porch.

"Hey."

I close the door, look at Pete and beam a smile. "Hi."

"You feeling okay?" he asks, opening up his umbrella as I step under it. We walk down the steps and I could only shrug.

"I guess? I don't know.. I told you about yesterday and I can't help but to feel guilty about it..", I answer, he makes a turn at a corner and I follow him, despite knowing that this wasn't the way to school.

"It's really not my place to say anything but maybe you should just talk it out with them. They're your best friends, I'm sure they'll understand. They've never gone against you before so why think that they will now?", Pete advices, he glances from me and the houses in front of us. "Oh - We're going to pick up Mikey. I told him that I'd walk with him today."

"Then why did you ask to walk with me?"

"Because I'm a good friend.", he says with a proud smile, he shows up at the doorsteps and knocks on the door before looking back at me. "I didn't want to see you sad all day, I hate seeing you sad. Mikey is my Soulmate but that doesn't mean I have to spend every second of my life with him, he knows that I have other friends and I know he does too."

I feel a smile make its way to my face again. "That's nice of you, thanks Pete.", I say, opening up my own umbrella, stepping away from Pete and pointing it towards the sky.

He's right. Soulmates shouldn't just gatekeep each other and keep them away from their other friends. It's like you're hoarding that person all to themselves, cutting off all sorts of communication.

That's just unfair.

Either way, Pete's just going to ignore my existence for the entire walk. It reminds me of that one pick-up line.

'are you a magician? because whenever i look at you, everyone else seems to disappear."

It's exactly that except Mikey is the magician, Pete is the lovestruck guy and I'm literally everyone else who disappears.

The door swings open and Mikey steps outside, he gives Pete a wave and even though he's never seen me in his life, he waves at me too.

I wave back, giving him a small smile (just to be polite because I'd be an asshole if I didn't wave back).

"Hi Pete."

"Hi MikeyWay."

Mikey turns around, shouting something along the lines of "Ma, I'm leaving!!" before closing the door. Pete lifts his umbrella so Mikey doesn't have to duck to get under it.

How sweet.

"C'mon, we should get going if we want to get to school on time.", I say and the two of them nod. I step aside, allowing the them to walk in front of me.