12

I let out a sigh as I step inside the building.

This place gives me the creeps.

The same doctors, the same nurses, and the same plain walls greet me every time I enter.

How do I know if they're not faking it?

They only make me feel welcome here because I'm a Glitch and they pity me for being one.

The same thing happens every time I'm here. I sit down, my name gets called moments later and the nurses bring me to the room my doctor was in. He asks me questions, I say a maximum of three words before silence fills the room once more. I get my soul checked with that large scary machine and the doctor is quick to get back to me with my results.

Your results are in and nothing has changed.", the doctor says, licking his lips as he takes a seat in front of me. "Your Soul has been the same since the last check-up so you're good."

"Okay."

"Okay?", he repeats. "Is that all you have to say?"

I shrug.

"Yeah."

No, I have a lot to say.

I actually have a lot on my mind right now like 'i wish i could go home' and 'i hate it here' but if I say that, the doctor is going to tell me to lighten up or something. He's probably going to rub in the fact that I have four, maybe less, months left to live so that the pain will go away soon.

Imagine all the poetry and songs I could create if I could just magically transport my thoughts onto paper. It's such a shame that nothing smart comes out of my mouth compared to the tsunami of words in my brain.

"Ryan-", he removes his glasses and I mentally slap myself. Things are about to get serious and it's all because I didn't speak my damn mind. "-Please tell me what happened. Judging by the way you're acting, I can tell that you're hiding something."

Can he read minds now?

I rarely interact with him. I never speak and all I do is nod or say "okay". He should be used to me and know me well enough that I despise talking. Why do you want to know about me? What's so important about me anyway?! I'm just another Glitch in the Soulmate system and I'm going to die, there's no way to my avoid happily ever after.

"I'm not hiding anything.", I state, keeping my eyes fixed on the tiled floor.

"Ryan-"

"Please don't say my name in every sentence.", I raise my voice, I quickly take note of what I just did and slump back in my seat. "I-I'm sorry.. you're reminding me of him.."

Him. I just want to wipe my memory clear because of my father.

Ryan this, Ryan that. Just stop nagging me!

I don't want to talk, please don't make me force it out.

"I apologize, I didn't mean to make you anxious.", I could tell that he immediately regretted what he just did. He puts his glasses back on and shifts them back up. "But believe me, my team and I need all the information we can get to help you in your situation."

In my situation? How else can you help me??

Check my weakly developed Soul every three weeks? Have me spill my darkest secrets for your entertainment? Send me to therapy for freaking out every day? Be there to 'support' me until I finally pass out? Do nothing once you find out that I die? Attend my funeral and say "Ryan? Oh - he was nothing more than a Glitch to us."

Is that all I'll ever be? A Glitch??

Screw that, this is just complete bullshit.

My hand clutches my wrist as my eyes dart the ground, I could feel his cold and intimidating stare on me. It's that same stomach-turning and uneasy emotion my father used to make me feel when he was at home.