Joker

Y/N

Y/N

For the past twenty-four hours, you'd been struggling to come to terms with what you'd witnessed, and who you could talk to who would understand. You'd called in sick, and Captain Obi had understood since you'd never called in sick unless you were ill. You weren't ill, just an excellent actor under pressure. Pacing up and down the bedroom, you bump into the dresser and knock a few things onto the floor.

Crouching down your stomach clenches as your eyes land on a playing card gifted to you by Joker after a chance encounter. It was an onetime use deal, and you had a feeling he'd understand your situation with little judgement. Pocketing the playing card, you put on some shoes and ready yourself to face the devil himself.

You walk into the abandoned warehouse in a not so nice part of town. You lean against a marked graffiti pillar and take the card out of your pocket.

'I'll be taking that very much.'

You jump as Joker seemingly appears out of nowhere right in front of you, and plucks the card from your hand. He wasn't the devil; he had a lot of tricks up his sleeve to mess with your mind.

'Out of all the people you could have come to, why me?' he asks, eyeing you up, knowing full well his presence made you feel nervous.

Did he know why you were here? Or was he trying to get inside your head? You bite your lip, 'because, despite everything, you're the only person I know I can trust with this Joker.'

Joker cracks a smile, 'Oh, so you were involved with the creation of that infernal?'

You nod, 'not intentionally. There was a parcel left at the station with a different address on, so Captain Obi told me to repost it on my way home.'

Joker motions with his hand for you to continue, so you take a deep breath, 'I was curious, no one just leaves a parcel on your doorstep with a wrong address on for no real reason. So I went out of my way to deliver it. When I knocked on the door, an elderly woman answered, she was unsure who'd send her a parcel, so she opened it in front of me, something came out, and next thing I know I'm face to face with an infernal.'

Joker tilts his head to the side, 'you feel responsible y/n? But why do you think you can trust me with this information? Unless you haven't told your Captain or Lieutenant because you don't know how they'll react.'

You sigh heavily, 'I overheard Shinra mention something about bugs creating infernals. And then he muttered your name under his breath when he thought no one was listening.'

JOKER

I kind of felt bad for y/n. They were a good egg, and someone I'd been watching over from the shadows as a favour for an old friend. This would be eating them up on the inside, and to come to me of all people made me feel honoured they trusted me, despite no one usually coming to me willingly. I was going to help them out.

'I'll do some digging into who left the parcel on the doorstep. This ain't your fault y/n if you'd posted it and this thing happened in a much more crowded place the casualties would have been a lot higher.'

y/n's face lights up, 'wait, you'll help me, Joker? I thought the card was a one-way thing.'

I shake my head and hand y/n my card back, 'this is a lot bigger than you y/n. Keep going to work, keep your head down, and don't feel guilty. You'll need this card if we're going to meet again.'

y/n looks down at the card, 'thank you. Maybe you're not as bad as people make you out to be, or how you make yourself out to be.'

If only y/n knew the truth, then they'd think I was a monster, a real devil.

'Until next time y/n, goodbye,' I tilt my hat.

y/n nods, 'till next time.'

When they glance at the card once more, I take the opportunity to vanish simply. I had to keep the illusion that I'm not all I seem to be.