Chapter 5

Ami scoffed mockingly, "And you think I didn't know that? You two have clearly been all over each other." Rachel's mouth fell open, "It's that obvious?? Do you think he likes me back?" Ami laughed and nodded, "Most definitely, there's no way he doesn't." Rachel smiled to herself, a hopeful smile, Ami had noted. It seemed she was truly catching feelings for the boy and Ami almost cringed at the thought of her friends dating. The last thing she wanted was to walk in on them making goo goo eyes at each other, or worse...
     She shook off the feeling though, happy that Rachel had so much to be excited about right now. She wasn't always on the eventful side of life, it seemed it always found it's way to Ami, putting her in the spotlight. Ami wouldn't be lying if she felt bad for Rachel always being caught in the shadow. Rachel was talented, just as much as Ami, but she never really got as much attention. Maybe because she was a good dancer? Their old theatre company was definitely known for type casting and being a good dancer essentially screwed you over. She was sure that came with every non professional theatre company, especially with children.

After cleaning up the kitchen, Ami and Rachel decided to call it a night and dispersed to their respective rooms. Ami knew Rachel would probably be up all night anyway, constantly checking her email for responses about their audition tapes. It was humorous but a tad bit annoying, considering they still had about a week till they actually officially heard something.
     Ami shrugged it off though, changing into her pajamas. Eventually Rachel would need to sleep, but there was no doubt she'd be snagging herself some coffee from work. Ami sat down on her bed, her phone in her hand. She stared down at it, sighing. First, she decided to text Sky a quick "Glad to see you again." It was the easier part of what she was planning. She then opened Josh's number. She felt her heart ache at the messages from nearly a year ago after she left tour without warning. He really did care for her and she just left him, no words as to where she'd be and why she left. Her thumbs hovered shakily over the phone's digital keyboard.
     She pulled back. What would she even say? There was no possible way she could recover anything they once had with a mere sentence and she highly doubted he had the time to read a whole paragraph. And that was only if she was lucky enough to have him want to respond. She groaned in frustration, falling back onto the bed, the phone still in front of her face. She quickly closed the messages, opting to text Benjamin instead. A quick, "Hey Benji. Long time no talk?" seemed to suffice for her. She'd understand if she didn't get a response but she knew she didn't have to be so formal with him.

Ami opened up Josh's messages again. She lay there silent, practically spacing out trying to think of something, anything to say. It seemed so simple yet so impossible at the same time. Her heart was pounding and she felt like she was going to suffocate under the stress. Her phone slipped and fell with a loud thud, right on her face. She hissed, not expecting the impact. Suddenly her eyes widened, but not from the shock of dropping the phone, but from the sound of her phone buzzing. She frantically picked it up to see that somehow she had.. face... dialed..? Josh.

"Oh shit."