Chapter 6

Josh was lazily scrolling through his phone after trying to fall asleep for what felt like forever. He just couldn't bring himself to as if something just refused to let him. Suddenly, making him jump, a notification popped up. Some unknown caller?
     Josh had to get a new phone after a while because it started crapping out on him so all his contacts got erased. This made him consider who could be calling him? He thought about answering, but still wasn't quite sure.
     Weighing the odds, he couldn't really decide. It could be someone he knew but just hadn't texted or called in a while but that would probably be unlikely, for he'd texted and/or called pretty much every important contact in his phone. On the other hand it could be some random person who had gotten a hold of his number. Or a scam caller too, he had to throw in.
     He knew he only had a few seconds to make a choice and so, deciding since he couldn't sleep he might as well have some eventful thing happen, Josh answered. He held the phone to his ear, awaiting some sort of greeting but was instead, well, greeted with silence.

     Ami was frozen in place, unsure why he had answered. Josh was too, but he certainly was less shocked than she was due to his oblivion to the current situation. Ami summoned the courage to croak out a small, "Josh?" She cringed as her voice cracked when she said his name, almost as if she hadn't spoken in forever. In all honesty though, she hadn't spoken his name in forever so that's how her body truly felt.
     Josh didn't answer at first, hesitating as he struggled to recognise the voice, despite it seeming so familiar. After what felt like forever, he answered calmly, "This is he?" Ami let out a shaky breath, "Hey, um, Josh, yeah... It's... It's me."
     Ami couldn't hear it but Josh let out a small gasp, for he hadn't heard from her in ages. Ami bit her lip, unknowingly holding her breath and awaiting a response. Josh couldn't bring himself to speak though, he was in genuine shock. After a year, she finally decided to contact him. All his memories seemed to flood back as if he were an amnesiac remembering everything. A year ago they were happy. A year ago she left him. A year ago she left him crying himself to sleep every night, texting her in desperate hopes of getting a response, not knowing what to do with his life, having to fake every ounce of happiness onstage and offstage until he got over her.
Josh didn't know if he should be disappointed or angry or sad or happy, all the emotions just seemed to clash with each other and it near gave him a headache. He wounded up sighing, causing Ami to tense up in fear of what he might say to her. They both remained silent before Josh spoke, "Why?"

I'm waiting on my Covid Test I've been sick for 9 days

I'm also hungry