ted #1

𝐲𝐨𝐮'𝐫𝐞 𝐯𝐞𝐫𝐲 𝐟𝐨𝐫𝐰𝐚𝐫𝐝
☾ 𝘁𝗲𝗱 𝗻𝗶𝘃𝗶𝘀𝗼𝗻 ☽

» [mr. brightside] «
the killers
0:00 ─〇───── 3:43
⇄ ◃◃ ⅠⅠ ▹▹ ↻

˗ˏ 🥃 ˎ˗‍‍‍‍

I don't know how I got here. Florescent lights flash in beat with the music that blares. The smell of alcohol and weed floods my nose. My tongue is coated in whiskey. My heart beats fast as Carly and I dance along to the music, singing along at times. All while being pretty tipsy.

When my best friend told me she had a way to help me take my mind off of things, well, let's say I didn't expect to end up at a party. The dress she forced me into is completely paradoxical compared to my normal style. Though, against my week-long sadness, I'm having an amazing time. It feels like I'm seventeen again. Seriously, the amount of body shots I've seen tonight is unprecedented. 

Carly grabs my wrist and drags me through the crowd of college students until we've reached a spot where we can talk at relatively normal volumes.

"So?!" She widely grins.

"So?"

"Are you forgetting about him?!"

I sigh. "Mentioning it makes it hard," I reply sarcastically. "but yes, this is helping a lot." I giggle.

"I told you!" She squeals. "Oh my gosh! When we were dancing I saw-"

I feel someone's gaze on me. My eyes travel past Carly and to a tall man across the room holding a red solo cup identical to my own. Fluffy, dark brown hair, dark eyes, round glasses, pink hoodie, everything draws me in. His eyes are on me, but as soon as mine land on him, he looks away. I can't help but smile lightly. He doesn't seem completely uncomfortable in the party scene, but also not totally comfortable. He glances back at me, smiling slightly. Another smile cracks before Carly interrupts.

"Y/n? Are you listening?"

My eyes snap back to her face. "Hmm?" I hum.

She turns around and spots the man, who still has his eyes glued to me. As soon as she does, he looks away and takes a sip from his cup. Carly turns around with a smirk. "I see."

I roll my eyes with a smile. "Carly-"

"Go talk to him!" She exclaims, nudging my arm.

"Carly, no. I can't."

"Why?! It's probably the best way to keep Dustin out of your mind."

I groan, glancing back up at the man. I look back at Carly.

"Do you know how long it's been since I've done something like this?" I ask her.

She raises an eyebrow. "What? Walk up to someone?"

"No." I giggle. "Just talked to a guy."

"Oh. Like two years?" She guesses.

"Just about."

She very vocally groans. "C'mon! You're gorgeous. He's gorgeous. He was checking you out. You were checking him out." She walks behind me, "Just go!" She pushes me forward.

I stop myself and look forward. The man is smiling and talking to someone. I close my eyes and take a deep breath. Inhale. Exhale. I open my eyes and walk forward. The guy he's talking to pats his shoulder and walks away. He looks at me and smiles, to which I smile back.

"Hi." He grins. His voice is deep, but not too deep. It's sort of soothing. I like it.

"Hi." I respond. "I saw you checking me out, so I decided to say hi." I smile, cheekily before taking a sip of my own beverage.