cooper #5

𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐜𝐥𝐚𝐬𝐬𝐢𝐜 𝐜𝐨𝐟𝐟𝐞𝐞 𝐬𝐩𝐢𝐥𝐥
✧ 𝗰𝘀𝗰𝗼𝗼𝗽 ✧

» [feels] «
calvin harris
0:00 ─〇───── 2:27
⇄ ◃◃ ⅠⅠ ▹▹ ↻

˗ˋ 👠 ˊ˗

"YOU WERE SUPPOSED TO BE HERE TEN MINUTES AGO!"

"I'm sorry, sir." My voice is quiet and timid. As if that helps disguise the screaming man on the opposite side of my phone that I guarantee everyone in this coffee shop can hear.

"You better be here in less than fifteen minutes. If you're not...YOU CAN COUNT YOUR JOB LOST!"

He abruptly hangs up the phone, probably returning to the meeting that I should technically be at right now. Not getting coffee for everyone currently in the same room as my almost insufferable boss. I sigh heavily as tears collect themselves in the corner of my eyes. I shyly look around the coffee shop I currently stand in. Lots of eyes are on me. I push up the fake glasses that rest on my nose as I take a seat at the nearest unoccupied table. I know the fake glasses sound stupid, but my boss requires a very specific dress code for me. Fake, black, round glasses, heels, pencil skirt, and some sort of tight sweater. Probably damn near to exactly what you think of when you think of a stereotypical assistant's outfit. It's something I would never wear if it weren't for the circumstances. It shows off my body in a way that I'm not comfortable, and it's clearly a way for all the guys in the building to cat call me. Which, again, I can't fucking stand. I would do anything to quit my job, but, of course, I can't afford to.

I tap my finger on the corner of my phone, flipping it on almost every minute anxiously. I glance up at the baristas behind the counter around the same amount of times. The clock flicks past 9:18. It's been exactly sixteen minutes since that phone call. "Y/n" The brunette at the cash register announces. I let out a breath of relief as I stand up and walk forward. I grin at the barista. She returns it before listing off the list of eight drinks I ordered. "One double shot expresso, two caramel lattes, three cappuccinos, one with cream in place of milk, one peppermint latte, and one vanilla latte with extra whipped cream?" I nod, relived they got it right.

"Thank you so much." I sigh with a wide smile.

"No problem. That'll be $26.79." I grab out my wallet and give her a twenty and a ten. As I wait for the change, my phone begins to ring again.

I mumble a curse under my breath as I pick up. "Hello?" The cashier is giving me a sympathetic look, clearly having heard the conversation before.

"Where the hell are you?!"

The woman hands me my change. "Just leaving now, sir." I reply as I have put away said change. I pinch my phone between my head and shoulder, picking up the two warm and full drink holders. I mouth a sincere thank you to the woman before turning and beginning to walk towards the door. I somehow push the door open with my foot and arm (gently) without any mishaps. All whilst my boss unloads on me with curses, yelling, and job threats on the other end of my phone. "I'm sorry, sir. I should be there in about five minutes."

"FIVE MINUTES?!"

I close my eyes at the sudden spike in noise. Didn't think five minutes was such a big deal. This, was my fault. As soon as my eyes open back up, I realize I had no clue where I was going, causing me slam into a man. Granted, I don't think he knew where he was going either, but I'm the one who spilled coffee everywhere. "Oh my gosh! I'm so fucking sorry!" I swiftly hang up my phone without a second thought. I bend down, frantically picking up the cups from the pavement. "I wasn't watching where I was going. I'm so sorry." I rush words out a million miles a minute. "I should've been paying more attention, or hung up the phone or something."

"It's fine. I wasn't-" As I stand back up, finally looking this guy in the eyes, I freeze. "Y/n?"

"Holy shit." The words are barely audible as I stare up at, a cheesy and stereotypical as it is, my high school crush. "Hi" I can't tell if my smile is forced or real. "I-it's been so long!"

"Yeah. Sorry about the coffee, by the way. I can pay you back if you want." His offer is sincere, but I know I can't take it.

"No, no, no!" My voice uncontrollably raises, embarrassing myself. I bend down and pick up the majority of the rest of the cups. Due to the near emptiness of each one, I throw them away in the convenient trash can right beside us. Cooper of course does the same. "It's fine, really." I quiet down as each cup is thrown away and the pavement is cleared. "It wasn't my money anyways." My eyes widen. "Wait, not like that! I didn't steal it!"

His smile and giggle are the same as I remember. "I know. Don't worry. What is it, your boyfriend's money or something?"

I open my mouth to reply, yet it takes a moment for the words to pour out. "No...I don't have a boyfriend." I mumble. "It's my boss's. He gave it to me to get all of this coffee for everyone at the meeting I'm supposed to be at-" I breathe in, looking back up at Cooper. He has he eyebrows raised with a smile. "You don't care." I exhale, looking down at my feet. "Sorry."

"No, don't worry about it." He grins. "It's cute..." I look back up at him again. "I didn't mean to say that out loud..."

I giggle and blush slightly. Aww. He's still freaking adorable...

"Hey, do you maybe wanna...hang out?" His question is hesitant but cute nonetheless. Stupid idiot don't catch feels again...

"Right now?" I ask, blown away that he would even care to offer to spend time with a tired, weirdly-dressed, coffee-covered, Y/n L/n. This isn't high school anymore. You're both just fucking people.

"Yeah." He shrugs, sliding his hands into his pockets. "If that's alright? I don't want to get you in trouble or anything."

I glance down at the phone in my right hand. Texts flood my home screen. I could stand working fast food for a few months. I grin and turn it off, looking back to Cooper. "I'd love to."

He smiles back. "Sweet. I can get you a coffee real quick if you want?" He offers, pointing his thumb in the direction of the coffee shop.

"Yeah, that sounds great." I peek past his shoulder and at the company car I was given to use for coffee runs (because I don't seem to do much else). "Just give me one second." I walk past and open the door. I slip off the uncomfortable high heels and grab my Converse out of the back seat. I slip them on, basking in the comfort I've given myself. I close the door after throwing the stupid shoes inside.

"Ready?" He smiles with admiration.

With the same expression, "Hell yeah."

˗ˋ 👠 ˊ˗

not sure where the inspiration for this came from? kinda a fan tho. and yes, it's another cooper one shot. deal with it. also. how and when did we hit both 6k reads and 200 votes? woah. i love you guys. fr. thank you💖

~ 1-800

published : May 29, 2020
words : 1282