wilbur #3

𝐡𝐮𝐬𝐡 𝐥𝐢𝐭𝐭𝐥𝐞 𝐛𝐚𝐛𝐲, 𝐝𝐨𝐧'𝐭 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐜𝐫𝐲
𓆝 𝘄𝗶𝗹𝗯𝘂𝗿 𝘀𝗼𝗼𝘁 𓆜

» [rosyln] «
st. vincent & bon iver
0:00 ─〇───── 4:50
⇄   ◃◃   ⅠⅠ   ▹▹   ↻

-ˏˋ 🌟 ˎˊ-

Wilbur is the type of person where if someone hurts them: you want to destroy them and everyone they love. Then again, Will is also the person to want to destroy any person's life if they hurt anyone he loves. It goes both ways.

Will's ex took everything from him: his trust, heart, happiness, belief in love, all of it. She left him as a hollow shell. You might say, broken-hearted. You know that song? Moral of the Story? That song that you didn't know was co-written by Billie Eilish's brother? Yeah. That's pretty much how he's felt for the past week or so. He genuinely believed this girl was the one. He really did.

Of course, I never liked her. Weather if that's due to her just being a flat out bitch to me or if I was jealous, I'm not sure. Right now, on the other hand, none of that matters. All that does is Wilbur.

I showed up at his flat around two hours ago. No, I wasn't invited, but you don't have to be when you're me. I came over with copies of Will's favorite movies, snacks, and lots of popcorn. The routine in our friendship when it comes to breakups. It always works. For him and for me. But holy hell did this girl break him.

We made it around halfway through the first movie when we finished the popcorn bowl. He walked off without saying much. Then again, he hadn't said much all night. I sat in silence, staring at the television, yet I was paying no attention. I was listening to every step Will took while also being trapped in my own mind.

A slight gasp makes my mind flick off and head swing up. My head twists to look behind myself and over the couch. "Will?" I call out, hoping to hear the poor boy respond.

"Just give me a moment." His voice is breaking. My shoulders slump and heart breaks with a small, apologetic sigh. I push myself from my sitting position and walk lightly to the kitchen. He's stood against the wall, head bowed, staring down at his empty palms.

My exhale is full of pain. Not just for me, but for him. His head lifts. His eyes meet mine. His red, puffy, empty eyes. The tear streaks line his cheekbones, connecting at his chin.

"Will." His name comes out almost as a whine as I rush over to him, wrapping my arms around his neck, pulling myself up into the most comforting hug I can give him right now. He's hesitant. He quickly realizes that it's me. That I'm only here to help and not hurt. His arms wrap around my back, tightly. His head dips to my shoulder, wetting it with tears. My eyes are open, staring straight at the wall, trying my hardest to hold in my own tears.

His voice peaks out. Cracking, breaking, then shattering. "I tried. So fucking hard."

"Hey, hey." Judging by the slight hesitation in the breathy gasps, his attention is caught. "It's okay, I'm here."

A small, resisted sob squeezes its way out. "Y/n, does it ever get better?"

Blinking isn't required for a tear to dribble down my face. "Of course." Now my voice breaks. "You just have to trust me. You don't have to be alone in this." His grip tightens. "Here, sit down." The urge to grab his hand and guide him to his own table aches, but I withhold only because of his vulnerability. It's quite possibly he worst thing I could do. As soon as he hits the chair, his shoulders slump. His posture collapses. I pull my chair right in front of him, staring into his eyes. I take a single thumb and wipe away a stray tear. His eyes depart from mine. His right arm lands on the table as a pillow for his head. His face is buried in what I can only assume is an attempt to hide his pain. I rest one arm across his back and the other over his arm and on his head, playing lightly with his hair. A calming mechanism that always seems to work.

"Hear my heartbeat?" To him, it may not be, but my tactic is clear to myself. He weakly and slowly nods. "Just focus on that. Just breathe."

The sniffles and shudders slow after only a few moments. His breathing seems to settle a bit. Actually, it settles into what seems the same beat as my own breathing. "I love you. Don't ever forget that." My breath is muffled slightly, as I'm against Wilbur's hair, holding him as close as comfortably possible. Only so many urges can be prevented before your feelings come crashing down on you and you almost suffocate before having to just let it all out. I'm suddenly conscious of how hard my heart is beating. My mouth is slightly parted, breathing as quietly as possible in this moment. It closes only to swallow a bit of saliva that's gathered near my tongue.

My brain doesn't think nearly quick enough. I lift my head while lightly resting my fingertips on Will's chin and other hand on the side of his head. I lift up his head with a little bit of his help. Closing my own eyes, I lean forward to press our lips together. His are warm and slightly chapped, yet the most surprising part is that they kiss back? It's a few flashes of bliss before I end the connection on my own, letting his head return to its prior position in his arm. As my arms wrap around his shoulders and head, one layering on top of his own, a small grin tilts the corner of my lips. I kiss his hair, noticing that the sniffles, sobs, and gasps had completely faded many moments ago.

-ˏˋ 🌟 ˎˊ-

i thought all of this up whilst listening to 'the cure' by lady gaga :)
this only took me about an hour to write and i think it's one of my favorites i've done yet. i'm just sort of proud of how it turned out ig. this is one where i'm very curious of your guys' thoughts soooo feel free to comment them if you ever so happen to feel the urge 📌

~ 1-800

published : October 1, 2020
words : 1085