wilbur #1

𝐝𝐨𝐨𝐟𝐮𝐬
𓆝 𝘄𝗶𝗹𝗯𝘂𝗿 𝘀𝗼𝗼𝘁 𓆜

» [fruity loops] «
salads
0:00 ─〇───── 2:50
⇄   ◃◃   ⅠⅠ   ▹▹   ↻

˗ˋ 🌅 ˊ˗

My feet swish in the chilled water of the lake as the cool air laps against my legs. Colors such as pink, blue, purple, and orange splash against the sky. The light strumming of Wilbur's guitar gives an even more serene vibe to the already relaxing scene. The quiet chords pair well with the noises of the incoming night. I rest my head on the warm shoulder of my best friend, staring out. After a few more seconds, the strumming stops. Will places his guitar to his left and sighs, looking out just as I am. I feel him tuck a tuft of hair behind my ear. He takes a deep breath.

"Y/n?"

"Yeah?"

He goes quiet. I lift my head and look at him. "What is it?" I ask, confusion lacing my features. He opens his mouth and closes it again. I tilt my head at an angle that gives me a better view of his face. He glances over at the odd angle I've put myself in. He cracks a smile and eventually a laugh. I can't help but join into the light laughter. I go back to a normal position as we look at each other.

"I just wanted to tell you something." He speaks.

I nod, coaxing him to continue.

He lets out an "Um" of hesitation while turning his head forward again. "It's not important." He backtracks.

I giggle. "C'mon. Tell me." I nudge his arm.

He looks over at me and shakes his head. "I don't think I can."

My lips curl into a sympathetic smile. I readjust, pulling my feet from the water. I sit on my legs, facing Wilbur. "I'll tell you something if you'll tell me this in return."

He smiles. "That's not necessary."

"It is if you won't tell me otherwise!" I laugh. "Will, I want to know." I pout. "I thought we told each other everything."

He sighs. "You have to promise you won't make fun of me."

I squint my eyes and bob my head from side to side. "No promises." He tilts his head with a "really?" look etched onto his face. "I was only kidding." I giggle. "Now, come on. Spit it out." I urge him eagerly.

He's hesitant at first, but he meets my eyes and speaks. "I like you. Like, really like you." He pauses, rushing out the next words. "I have for a while, but I didn't want to ruin what we have. I don't know why I suddenly felt the urge to tell you, but-" He inhales. "I think you're funny, talented, smart, beautiful, kind..." He trails off with the cutest smile on his face. He turns to me again, still with a smile plastered against his face. "I just thought you should know." He shrugs.

I find that I've been staring at him this whole time. I let out a breath I was unaware I was holding in. I bite the inside of my bottom lip, peeling my eyes away from my long-time best friend and directing them to the wooden dock we sit on. I uncontrollably let out a giggle that becomes a full on laugh. I release my teeth and look up to the now night sky.

"Oh my god." I sigh with relief. I close my eyes and bathe in the coolness of the night. I look back to Wilbur. Distraught, he looks into the lake. "Oh, don't look so sad." I nudge his arm again. He looks over at me once more. "I like you too, doofus." I smile lawlessly. "I don't have an adorable speech prepared, but just know that I feel the same way." I pause, breathing in. "And I have for a long while now."

A smile grows on his face. "Reall-"

I shove him into the water. Droplets splash up to me. I let loose a laugh as he, now soaked, pops up to the surface. He wipes his no longer fluffy hair from his eyes and looks up at me, still sitting on the dock. A devious smile grows as he grabs a hold of my ankle, assisting me in joining him in the frigid water.

The cold water envelops me. Sound ceases for a moment. My hair swims around me. I burst through the surface of the water. Mouth wide, I look in disbelief at the man in front of me. Now, he laughs. My clothes stick to my body as does my hair.

"You dickhead!" I exclaim, sending a small splash his way.

"You did it first!" He defends, returning the favor.

In protest, I gift him a larger bit of water. I never seem to win in these situations, though. Skipping a few levels, Wilbur splashes what might as well be a while goddamn wave into my face. I gasp before laughing along with him.

"I hate you so much." I laugh.

"So you did lie!" He accuses me sarcastically.

Laughing, I swim closer to him. He wraps his arms around my waist. In what seems to be instinct, I wrap my legs around his waist and arms around his neck. His hand readjust to under my thighs.

"I can promise you that nothing I said was a lie." I confess, my eyes not leaving his.

And for the first time ever, with smiles cemented onto our faces, our lips meet. The coldness of the water, by now, fading.

˗ˋ 🌅 ˊ˗

okay i really enjoyed writing that one :) as always, thoughts?🌌

~1-800

published : April 28, 2020
words : 938