1) weed pancakeS

Elizabeth:

It was dark, well past midnight, and my body ached like it never had before. I didn't know why. I hadn't gotten in a fight. I hadn't fallen down the stairs again.

"Get up." My dad spoke again.

"It's not even light out." I groaned and rolled to face away from my father, burying my head further into my pillows.

"Lizzie, I have no time to explain. We have to get you out of here. Up. Now."

"What are you talking about dad?"

"You've left me no choice." He mumbled. I tried to reason with him, but it was no use as my blankets and pillows we're ripped away from me.

"Alright, alright. I'm up."

"Great."

I sat up and rubbed the sleep from my eyes. It took a minute for them to adjust to the darkness, my dad was frantically running about my room stuffing random things into a small, brown, foreign looking drawstring bag.

"Where are we going?"

"Put this on." He tossed some clothes at me, ignoring my question. "Hurry!" He whisper-yelled and ran out of the room, shoving more things in the bag as he went.

I got ready as fast as my aching body would let me. When I came down stairs, I found my dad in the kitchen eating pancakes with his hands.

"Eat." He said, pointing towards the stack of pancakes on the counter.

"Why does everything hurt so much?" I mumbled and shoved a pancake in my face. I was surprised to discover that it helped the pain. What was in these? Weed? I kept eating them. How many had my dad eaten?

"Feel better? Come on. In the car. Hurry." He pushed me towards the front door. I grabbed as many weed pancakes as I could.

"What's in those pancakes?" I said after a while of driving, well, more like speeding. I was too scared to look but we were definitely going over a hundred miles per hour.

"Ambrosia." He said matter-of-factly, only taking his eyes of the road to glance in the rear-view mirror.

"Of course." I rolled my eyes.

My dad had always been obsessed with the supernatural. He spent most of his free time studying it. Whether it was angels, or gods, or fae, or elves, or demons, or dragons, or werewolves, or vampires, or mermaids, or cupids, or sylphs, or sirens, or kadoma... you name it, I guarantee you, he knew everything about it. He was obsessed with idea of being immortal.

Over the years he had taken to even making his own herbal teas and medicines and gear or going on "quests" to retrieve them. Ambrosia just happened to be something he spent years searching for. Apparently he found some in Samoa and has since learned to replicate the recipe. I'm convinced it's just some kind of really effective pain killer.

~~

I awoke to find myself alone in the car. It was still nighttime and we were in some abandoned, barely lit parking lot. I looked out the passenger window and gasped at what I saw.

My father was on his knees, while two men held him up by his arms and third man was beating him to a bloody pulp.

"You can't have her." I heard my dad whisper menacingly. The third man shrugged as he crouched in front of my father, who looked him square in the eyes. Then the man pulled something shiny out of his pocket.

A gun. He was going to kill my father!!

"No!" I screamed and began fumbling with the door and the seatbelt keeping me in place. I wasn't going to sit by and watch my father be murdered in front of me.