13) in the shadows

Elijah:

It made sense now. It made sense why it felt like my mind was melting and frying and frazzling at the edges. My scythe was gone. I knew that stupid museum was a bad idea. Why the hell does the underworld need a museum? Why did my scythe have to go on display in the museum? I knew something like this would happen. I told Nero and the museum people to this would happen. Did they listen? No.

Most secure musuem in the world my ass.

I flitted through the shadows of the city streets. The only thing that could fix my temper was getting my scythe back, but I had no idea how to even start looking for it. So I resorted to the next best thing: terrorizing humans.

I was pissed. I'd forgotten that people who were already dead couldn't die again. I mean sure, I could crush their souls, but that's not dying. Souls can exist without being alive, but you can't be alive without a soul. Besides, however cruel I may be, crushing souls was never really my thing.

Finally, someone caught my eye. He was a puny human, wandering alone in the dark, not paying attention to his surroundings. He was rather average looking, with shaggy blonde hair and a five-o-clock shadow. I eyed him carefully as he hung up angrily on whoever he was talking to and shoved his phone into the back left pocket of his blue jeans.

I felt my brain begin to focus once again, honing in on the man in front of me. Granted it was a crazed focus, a phycopathic sort of attention. I felt a grin spread across my lips as I began to follow him in the dark, never taking my eyes off him, not even to blink.

The man tensed very quickly and began to cautiously look around him in the dark, but he couldn't see me. Not yet.

One of my many talents as Lucifer was the art of scaring and torturing people. I could control and warp darkness however I pleased. I could make my skin turn inky black and my eyes blood red. And the best part, was I could get inside someone's mind. Learn their deepest fears and slowly but surely drive them mad, by any means possible.

Thats what I began to do now as I stalked him. For one thing, this man gets scared very easily. He doesn't watch horror movies because of it. He was deathly afraid of spiders and bats. How stereotypical.

I let my mind free. It grabbed his fears and ran with them. Shutting down all the lights on the street. Placing huge spiderwebs all over the place. Leading him to an ancient looking cemetery. Making him go in a masoleum. Making the dead bodies come out of their caskets. Making bats attack his hair. You know, the works.

I didn't return home for weeks. But I realized each day that passed was another day I became slightly more insane. So I went back home. And perhaps I was beginning to miss Elizabeth. Eliya.

It was eerily silent in the appartment, not that I minded. But usually there was at least one annoying person around. Instead it was entirely empty. I had just finished searching the last room in the appartment when I heard the familiar click of the front door. Foot steps shuffled up the stairs as if they were trying to be quiet. I followed behind them in the dark. I could just barely make out Elizabeth's frame in the night.

She cautiously opened the door to her bedroom and stepped inside, leaving the door open behind her. I stood in the door shadows of the door way as I watched her rummage about her room. Once she found what she was looking for she turned about the room with tears in her eyes. Then, as if it were nothing, she slid open the tiny window above her bed, crawled through it, and disappeared into the night.

Only moments later the appartment filled with the shouts and crashing noises that accompany the seven.

"I can't believe you did that, Damon." Levi yelled above the rest of the angry voices. "Azazel's going to be furious when he finds out!"

"He's not going to find out." Damon replied darkly.

"Don't be stupid D."

"She almost got us killed! What would we have said when he came to collect our souls huh? That his mate is not who she says she is? That she's plotting with the enemy?" Damon shouted.

I was standing in the shadows of the living room now. What was Damon talking about?

"Do not blame her for the fact that we were all stupid enough to go after the scythe without bringing someone who could actually touch it! Be thankful it was there and that we all returned in one piece!" Levi shouted back. He and Damon were the only two argueing now. I watched as he reached into the bag he was holding and pulled out something wrapped in a black cloth. I immediately felt myself relax as my mind began to return. He set the scythe down on the table and stared at it for a moment.

"What are we going to do with it?" Tyler asked quietly.

"We either wait for Eli or we return it to the museum."

"That won't be necessary." I finally spoke, "And can someone explain to me why Eliya was crying as I watched her crawl out of her window a few minutes ago?" I crossed my arms over my chest as I let the darkness continue to billow around me. Although being in the presence of my scythe calmed me down significantly, my mind was still fragmented and delusional. This clearly frightened the rest of the seven. They'd never seen what I was capable of without it. But they certainly knew I was powerful.

"She's a traitor!" Damon spoke angrily, "How come none of you can see it! She must have you all under some sort of spell!"

"She is not a traitor just because her father is, Damon!" Levi sighed, tossing his hands into his hair as he plopped down on the couch.

"I can't believe you all are still defending her after what happened." He growled and disappeared in an angry red puff of smoke.

____________________________________

teehee

what did she do?

~~

MY HIATUS IS OVER BITCHESSSS!!! Thank you all so much for being patient with me, I really needed this break from writing. I find it kind of strange that I took the summer off. It's like I can only write when school is in session, lmao.

Anyways I've got at least three more chapters lined up for you guys as well as some extra fun on the side ;)

I hope yal are as excited as I am because things in this book are finally starting to line up. I know things are still a little confusing but everything will begin to make sense. I also plan to do a rewritten version of this book at some point in the future that will definitely be more collected and maturely written, so start getting excited for that.

_________
~Ez