20) dinosAurs

Elizabeth:

"I was just a kid, maybe 3 thousand years old, I didn't have my scythe yet, when Theia crashed into the Earth and wiped out all the dinosaurs. Dad was so furious and distraught. We all were. But I had more pressing matters at hand. I had millions of souls to collect. Every day, all day, there I was, little tiny Azazel, down on Earth chasing down loose, rabid dinosaur souls without any help, breathing in space smoke. Looking back at it, I sounded like a hardcore smoker for years afterward." Azazel chuckled at the retelling of his introduction with his aunt.

"I saw her a couple times when I was actually near the moon. She was just staring at it, unmoving. I thought maybe she was dead too, but when as I got closer I realized she had a very very firm grasp on her soul, just like dad. And I thought, who is this little girl. We looked around the same age, but I honestly couldn't tell. I didn't tell dad about her. But I think he knew anyway. He was too focused and saving the life on his planet. He even had me helping. It was tough work, helping him save his planet when he wouldn't help me with my first big collection of souls. But I grew to love the Earth, even more than I already did. It became my home. I spent any chance I got just admiring my hardwork."

We were at a diner for lunch, just the two of us. We had left Zach and Lilly's pack a couple hours ago, and to my surprise, instead of flying, Azazel had led me over to his motorcycle he'd hidden at the edge of the woods and said we'd be riding back to New York. I was grateful for the lack of need for us to get back to the apartment. I wasn't necessarily thrilled to see Damon again. Especially after he threatened to kill
me. Elijah tried to reassure me that I didn't need to worry, but I couldn't help it.

"Do you still admire it now?" I asked, taking a bite out of my crispy chicken sandwich.

"Yeah sometimes." He replied with a soft smile, glancing out the window. "That's why I got the bike. You don't get to see life when you're flying above it."

I gave him a wide smile in return. It seemed to dazzle him, his eyes darking slightly as he chewed on his own meal. I couldn't help but giggle, I was in an infectiously happy mood ever since we got on the bike.

"What?" He rasped, teasingly.

"Nothing I'm just happy." I replied cheerfully. His eyes lit up.

"I'm happy too."

We basked in the feeling together a little while longer before he continued his story.

"Eventually, she got her moon back in space, with the help of Artemis. But by then we had revived the Earth. She was mesmerized. At some point during her adventure, she ran into me and asked for my help. She had known that I had helped my dad create life and she wanted me to do the same for her. She told me her idea to have life on the moon but she didn't know how, and since God was mad at her, I was the next option. I don't know if I was much help, but after Artemis and I helped her build her temple, I taught her what I knew about souls. We would practice together, practice giving and taking life. I guess the flaw came in with the moon's atmosphere. I only knew how to work with animals... and animals need oxygen, which the moon doesn't have much of. She asked me how to make plants but I couldn't help her there.

She spent quite sometime secluded on her moon, growing ever frustrated at it's lack of life. Of course God didn't trust her when she asked to let her werewolves live on Earth. He thought she was clumsy and naive, but she was also incredibly persistent and he gave in, especially when he heard about her mates idea. He noticed it when the ocean started having tides, it was truely something marvelous to see for the first time." He grinned at the memory, immitating the waves with his hands.

"Sometimes I think it was intentional that she made me the owner of the scythe, I was the closest person she knew to God, but she's always insisted she didn't know. And now you're the destined owner of the moonstone. It's like she's a weaver of fate." He continued quietly.