26) i want to be a monkey

Azazel:
(still 600 years ago)

I wake up with a searing pain in my head, so much so that it overpowered the pain in my back.

Someone wasn't doing their job.

The voices of lost souls screamed in my mind, causing an ever increasing headache, all from the same region in Eastern Asia. Damon. What the hell was his problem?

I groaned in pain as I pushed myself to a sitting position. I had no idea what day it was, only that it was early in the afternoon. I forced myself to stand, waiting a moment for the dizzying sensation that accompanied the movement to die down. Then, I stumbled about, looking for some sort of shirt. When I found one, my terrible mood had increased tenfold.  It was ugly as shit. I tossed it.

Walking out to the kitchen I was met with the same girl from the party. I ignored her and went straight for the front door.

"Wait!" She called out timidly, "You can't leave!"

Snarling, I turned to face her, "Watch me." Then I walked out the door and slammed it shut, rattling the whole building.

As soon as I stepped into the city I knew something was wrong. The people weren't out in the streets like normal. No, they were hiding in their houses, not daring to come out. Eventually, I walked past a group of frantic, elderly women whispering in Greek about omens and the recent death of the oracle.

There's Damon's problem. His little girlfriend died.

I laughed in my head at the thought. It was pathetic, really, but at least she wasn't his mate.

Finding Damon was relatively easy. All I had to do was follow his path of burnt footsteps and contorted, writhing creatures. When the trail ended, however, dread rooted itself in my core.

He was going for revenge and the only person brave enough to rip a heart out that isn't imprisoned in Hell is Michael.

This is why they had the ripping wings out rule. For fallen angels whose intent was destruction. If I didn't hurry, Damon would be suffering the same fate as I... and he'd have earned it.

Quick as light I teleported myself into the sky right beneath the heavens, searching for a fuming angel. I wasn't entirely afraid of falling, I couldn't die that way, but it certainly would hurt so I refrained from letting myself hit the ground and continued to teleport around until I found him.

"What that hell?" He snapped as I teleported directly ontop of him, causing him to lose control and tumble into the sky.

"Good afternoon!" I replied as annoyingly as possible, "Lovely day to get your wings ripped off."

"What the hell is your problem, man?" He hissed as I clambered around him, trying to find my balance.

"Oh me? I think I want to be a monkey, but I need to practice first." I replied sarcastically, slapping my hands on his face as we both fought gravity.

"Go find someone else." He snarled, "I'm busy."

"Well, you're certainly not busy doing your job." I replied, lowering my voice. "Now, lets go somewhere we can stand to talk about this."

"Sure. After I rip Michael to pieces."

"If you didn't want your wings anymore all you had to do was tell me. Although I can't guarantee a clean tear like Michael can."

"Are you saying I can't defeat him?" Damon growled. "I bet I can defeat both of you with my hands tied behind my back."

"Maybe you can." I replied, letting him have his ego before I shoot it down. "But he will not stop hunting you and fighting you until you get what he thinks you deserve. The more you fight, the worse your punishment will be. Now tell me, which option do you prefer?" 

That sent him grumbling and snarling down to the ground, where we crashed due to lack of coordination. Instantly, I hissed in pain, but I couldn't hide it before Damon noticed.

"So the rumors are true."

"Yes. It hurts like a bitch, please forgive me for trying to save you from the same pain." I replied sarcastically, wiping dirt off my chest. "Come on."

I led him back to the hut, where Levi was now waiting for us, talking to the annoying girl.

"Great. She's still here." I rolled my eyes as I grabbed some food from the kitchen. I was starving.

"I think you should hear her out, Azazel." Levi replied, eyeing Damon disdainfully.

"If it'll make her leave." I sat down next to him, impatiently waiting for her to start speaking. Damon sat down as well.

"Look, I know you all don't get along right now. But I could really use your help. It's complicated, and I can't tell you why, but I need to get the moonstone before the second Sunday from now."

"Today's Wednesday." Levi whispered. I shot him a look.

"Sorry." I told her, not at all meaning it, and went back into the kitchen, which was stocked with all kinds of foods I assumed Levi had gotten from the market.

"Why not?"

"Because I don't like you."

"I haven't done anything!"

"I still don't like you."

"Who would've thought you were such a child?" She mumbled, clearly not intending for anyone to hear it.

"Forgive my behavior," I hissed sarcastically, getting in her face, "I'm in unbearable pain because I'm missing two whole ligaments!"

"You could always become a monkey." Damon snickered quietly.

"How would you feel if I ripped out your arms?" I continued, ignoring him. The girl simply looked down at her lap.

"Now, why do you have no scent and no soul?" I growled, magically tying her to her seat. "Who are you?"

"You tell me." She replied cunningly. "I learned almost everything I know about souls from you."

"That doesn't make any sense, we don't know you." Levi said.

He was wrong though. It did make sense. The Seven didn't know about time travel yet, I hadn't told them, or anyone really, because the power could very easily be abused.

Something must have been really wrong for me to send someone to this terrible era of my life.

"You two, get back to work. Gather the others. Meet back here this evening." I ordered gravely, not looking away from the brunette who was smirking in front of me.

"Tell me everything you can." I said to her as soon as they left.

"I'm from the future. And I need the moonstone to save it." She replied slowly, as if she wasn't sure what she was allowed to say.

"The moonstone cannot fix or heal something that isn't tangible." I said, hoping to get her to tell me more. Honestly, I didn't even know if that was the truth. It was only what was predicted of the moonstone's power.

"No, but it can fix and heal things that are tangible and would therefore save the future."

"So the future depends on something that is hurt?" She nods her head reluctantly. "And what if I don't want to help you achieve these healing powers. What if I don't want there to be a future?"

No future, no becoming my dad.

"Then we would all be living in a world that has destroyed itself because of it's greed and struggle for power." She replies cryptically.

"The mortals do that every day. What's so special this time?"

"It's not the mortals this time."

Shit. What's Michael going to do?

"And you need this stone by the end of next week? Why?" I asked darkly.

"Because it ceases to exist after that."