The Dead Don't Talk

Chapter 16

Kabir opened an eye with great difficulty fighting the bright glare of the sun that was poking through his hardly opened eyes. And in the distance he saw Miriam running towards him frantically out of breath but deeply worried to see if her brother was fine. He being  the only one other than herself in the family line to be alive.

He remembered the time when her mom accepted him to their family.

But now  Kabir zapped back from his thoughts into real time and found his sister giving him a jerk trying to wake him up.

Kabir jolted awake picked up his torso sat upright pulled his sword that lay in its sheath in the back and stabbed a soldier that was slowly creeping behind Miriam with his sword upright clenched in both his hands with the clear intention of stabbing Miriam through her upper chest from the back. But Kabir foiled his plan by showing him that it wasn't she who was going to die but him.

Kabir gave a gentle hug to his sister and stood up gently but immediately his knees gave way and he once again fell to his knees. Miriam was in shock but gave him support to stand up while the nanobots in his blood fixed the injuries he had sustained from the fall.

Now, Kabir stood and in a moment was combat ready. He stood up, the helmet opened up from his backpack ran through the length of his posterior neck and finally covered his face. The glass became transparent along his face, the hologram and other necessary details appeared along the sides of the helmet in blue light.

The scene analyser in the screen surveyed the area assessing all weapon stashes, location of enemy troops which were a hand few and other battle measures.

Their suits had two phases. One was a synthetic polymer nanosuit that hugged their skin and round all over the body.  The second phase was a heavy shielded plates over their torso, around their boots and on their elbow region protecting all vital combat efficient body parts.

The environment was in total chaos, soldiers were running here and there shooting all enemy troops they saw. He could see Mark, Fazil in his immediate sight in crossfire. But they all seemed to be have gotten everything under control.

Just that instant the floor from which Kabir had dropped bursted into flames and out of the inferno jumped out a man, falling through six storeys and landing properly on his feet shoving heaps of gleaming golden sand into the sky.

Kabir recognised him immediately to be the man who had torched him out of the building.

__________________________________________________________________________________

Fazil took a seat in front of Jared.

" So, tell me Jared what is it?" asked a curious Fazil.

" It is codenamed element X, I do not know it's exact composition." said Jared hating himself for opening his mouth.

" Is that it? Is that all you have to say? I am not convinced let's switch legs shall we? This time i won't cut it loose. You see I was merciful the last time, the pain was actually bearable, this time I don't think you can be subject to such mercy. The agreement was simple, tell me what I need to know and I let you walk but your hot head could not accept that. And just for the record I have added some specificity in the pain, It's gonna eat you knee cap first. In specific the muscle that controls your leg movement. Even with advanced level prosthetics your knee won't be able to move."

" Ok, ok.  Initial tests show that it has the answer to the energy barrier of the stargate. When you go through conventional channels through the stargate, if you have energy to last for thirty days when you pass through you have two days of energy left. But what if you got an element that would override the entire power deficit of the stargate? The stargate would necessarily open up to that person or in this case, this empire. The element was to be transported to a more secure facility, we were packaging it for that reason. "