Jiang Cheng

The tune of zither can be heard from the distance, another day, another try, another play of Inquiry. the disciples who passed and heard it thought that Lan Wangji is practicing, just like any other disciples in Gusu. But Lan Wangji is already too skilled, he can probably play it with his eyes close, so why is it he kept on playing Inquiry day in and day out? The others wondered as they heard the familiar music but after the melody faded in the distance they never talked about it anymore. 

Lan Wangji sat underneath the shade of a Magnolia tree, Zither on his lap he looked at the strings waiting for an answer but nothing.. nothing at all! he started to wonder what happened to Wei WuXian’s soul, did it also received a backlash? was it destroyed? was it captured? his fist clenched, nails digging on his palm as and his lips pressed into a thin line. how long would it take for him to receive anything? any answer, just a small vibration from the string to confirm that Wei WuXian is still here, that he is hoping and waiting for someone who can return. Taking a deep breath his finger plucked the string creating a loud tone he was staring at his Zither tempted to just stop all of this, to keep on hoping to--

“mm.. “ Lan Wangji’s thoughts halted when he felt a fluffy fur rubbing against his boot. light colored eyes stared at the white bunny that was looking up at him. Lan Wangji loosened his clenched fist and his body relaxed, reaching out his long slender fingers stroked its forehead, the creature seemed to appreciate it and even closed its eyes. after a few moments he was already surrounded by the herd, different colors and sizes bounced and played about, some wanted to get his attention particularly the black one who was staring at his Zither and nibbling at the string he carefully picked it up raising it on his eye level. 

“Behave” he murmured and set it down on his lap. he rearranged the position of the Zither to accommodate the creature. He started playing again, lost in his own thoughts before noticing a light sound of small footsteps approaching. Looking up Lan Wangji saw Wen Yuan now called Lan Sizhui standing a few feet away from him, observing. its been two months since he took him to Gusu, he was officially a disciple and wore their uniforms, Lan Qiren remarked that he was a excellent child, he was starting attend his classes and already blending in without problem. Lan Wangji’s only concern is, the child seemed to have forgotten most of his past memories, he never asked about Wei WuXian, nor his grandparents. Lan XiChen said he must have gone in a trauma, for a child to experience and see the deaths of people, being chased and hidden without anyone looking after them is scary. 

“Sizhui, come here” Lan Wangji pressed his palm on top of the Zither to silence the vibration and he looked at the child that sat beside him. the rabbits observed Sizhui, sniffing at his robes. after a while the white fluffy creature hopped on his small lap. Sizhui was delighted and softly stroked the rabbit’s head. Lan Wangji observed this and picker up one rabbit placing it on Lan Sizhui’s lap “You like?” He looked at the two rabbits on Lan Sizhui’s lap. 

The boy eagerly nodded and saw the other rabbits started to surround him, Lan Wangji shifted, placed his zither beside him he picked another rabbit and placed it on Lan Sizhui’s lap. He stared at him for moment, and it seems like he wasn't satisfied Lan Wangji added another two. the child is now confused which to pet first, the herd is all over him rubbing against his robes, poking his knee, hopping around his lap and Lan Wangji adding more numbers of these fluffy creatures on his lap. He stared at Lan Wangji carrying another black rabbit, he held it on his arms and carefully stroked it.