Where It All Begun

Lan Wangji continued to walk to the direction of Wei WuXian’s lair, The Devils cave. it was cave that was located in a secluded area in Burial Mound, people going about the story how the Yiling Patriach carried his crooked practice, turning people into his corpse army and conducting experiments. this is where he left him and the last time he had seen him. His figure that was clad in white contrasted the darkness of the place, the sun is almost down now yet the place is already a bit dark. Lan Wangji went inside lit a fire talisman,venturing further into the pathway, he was almost lost, the cave was big and could occupy perhaps over a hundred people. It was his first time to see this place from the inside, When Wei WuXian was injured he had not ventured this far and only secured Wei WuXian could be hidden and he left. turning into a small path he saw some items littering on the ground, following it further he saw this part of the cave in total chaos. it was clear that the cave was ransacked, makeshift tables had been overturned. crumpled papers, books, boxes.. it looked like a mess.

The other cultivators most likely flipped the place upside down to find something useful. Any items that the Yiling Patriach made, others must have searched for something they could sell. either way it frustrated Lan Wangji to see how much they disrespected him upon seeing the stone walls are being vandalized by people who didnt know anything!

Lan Wangji turned his back against the gruesome words on the stone walls and found a broken lamp, he crouched and checked the item, the glass was broken but it can still be used. he lit it up and sat down on the ground  placing his zither on his lap Lan Wangji took a deep breath and started playing Inquiry, eyes closed the music drifted and echoed inside. the light flickered for a bit and Lan Wangji was met with silence, he frowned and his fingers moved to the strings desperately calling his name.

Wei Ying ..

He continued to play for three times, already with same crushed expectations. this wont do.. he looked around the place and could not help but remembered a distant memory, in a cave, together with him, and a song. Lan Wangji’s finger started to move, soft tune can be heard from it but it wasn't Inquiry. the music was soft and was accompanied by a low humming. Lan Wangji hummed the song he sung to Wei WuXian, the only one he had ever sung for. his eyes looked up at the dark section of the cave and could imagine Wei WuXian’s feverish expression smiling at him. That time he had Wei WuXian’s head on his lap as he hummed, it was one of the memories he held so dearly. looking down at his lap, his slender fingers continued to play, his humming increased a volume and Lan Wangji noticed his shaking voice and unsteady fingers, suddenly the music stopped when one of the strings broke halting his movements. Lan Wangji stared at the zither and his finger which was caught by the string giving him a small cut.

Taking a deep breath he shifted and took the zither into his arms and embraced it, with his eyes closed and lips pressed tightly in a thin line he refused to let the waters gathering on the corner of his eyes to fall. what is there to cry about? Wei WuXian would be back! why mourn his death when he knew he would be back? but when? how long? would he really be back?

Lan Wangji stayed there and calmed his breathing making sure he was already composed he looked at his zither and wrapped it with white linen cloth before he slung it on his back. walking around he paused and looked down as he stepped into something hard, pushing his robes aside he slowly bent down and picked it.

It was the branding iron of Wen Sect, Lan Wangji looked at it, the stick was broken and only half portion of it is still intact to the brand, his mood fell even down and he gripped it tightly before shoving it on his pouch he took one look at the surroundings and sighed before taking his leave. Lan Wangji went back it was already night and he remembered that he needed to be back before curfew. with long strides he walked the path back to the market.