Chapter 3

"Hello father."Maithri was tidying the kitchen.
"Leave that for the maid and join us."
Vikram took a chair.
"Sit down son. "
"Come again why didn't you ask the chef?"
"I was almost done when you called me out father. All I had to do was cook an extra bowl of rice."
She started to serve the simple meal she had managed to prepare. Vikram tasted everything fast. Aditya let the steaming rice to cool a little.
"Ok we will sail through this. Our guest won't be impressed of your cooking skills but won't rise from the table half hungry. And that my daughter is fine for now."
Maithri breathed relieved. Her father was a picky eater.
The conversation predictably started with why Aditya was there today-the contract renewal. Vikram tried to throw his power on the young man. But Aditya was not built to succumb. He had come ready for a duel and played hard. Never once his voice waver nor confidence falter. For a few minutes Maithri watched the two men trying to rip off each other. They wouldn't stop by themselves. So Maithri interjected.
"Father the only way my food will glide into our stomachs is if we eat it steaming. Lets talk business later. "
"I agree with you duckling. Your food is bland. "
Aditya chuckled.
"You walked into it duckling so don't glare. Anyways Aditya I have asked my secretary to go through the contract. And then we will finalise it around.....3.30 pm or so. Then you can go on to pune."
The conversation turned more banal. Maithri ate quitely unless she was dragged to say something. The two men obviously knew each other personally from before. Aditya looked unfazed by the powerful host or the drop dead gorgeous daughter sitting close. He pulled her in the conversation inspite of her waryness. Her father didn't seem to mind. Still she kept her answers short.
"No awards or ranks! " Vikram asked surprised.
"I had great grades but never was the topper. Um... represented the school and college in sports. I was ok. But I loved drama. "
"I think I remember you directing a drama some years back in the gsb mandal."
"Why do you even remember that?"
Aditya asked embarrassed. Maithri stared at dimples in his cheeks.

Dimples! Seriously! And I didn't see them in the morning!

Aditya caught her staring. He casually flashed a full toothed smile.

Nah. U are not allowed to flirt so easily.

"Which play father? Had I come too?
What was the play about? "
"I remember you were chatting away with your friends in the corner. Something about a farewell party for a friend who was leaving college. "
"My play was so boring huh. Couldn't even interest people to stop planning their farewell parties. " He feigned hurt.

Aww. Hurt? Not working.

"Anyways we took the feedback to heart. The feedback that most audience were bored. And the younger audience didnt care. " he slowly laughed at Maithri.

Damn. He is good.

"And that was our first and last performance."
"You didnt try to perfect your talent?"
"One play was enough to bring us to our senses. Besides we realized we were not cut out for drama."
"Couldn't ensnare anyone? "
Maithri was startled at her fathers question.
"Oh don't duckling. You don't know the lengths I went for your mother. So Aditya any luck? "
"Was never my plan. Maybe one or two got a temporary girlfriend but they have not lasted. But yes I have a steady friendship with the crew even after disbanding. We still meet regularly."
They had eaten. Aditya got up to help
Maithri clear the table.
"I need a nap kids. Then I will call you Aditya. U will make us tea right duckling?"
She nodded. He yawned and left the two.

Really father. You just leaving me?
Fine then. I will handle it.

She quickly started clearing the clutter and filled the sink. Of course it was for the chef who would come shortly.
"So duckling you will have a nap now?"