Chapter 9

He caught up with her in a few strides. They walked quietly to the house. There was a truck loading boxes from the house.
"Aditya you go and talk to father. I will go and see if they have loaded everything."
She pointed to her father standing at the house entrance. Aditya approached Vikram. Vikram had changed into casual wear of a red T-shirt and light cream shorts.
"Shanbaugmam this attire suits you.  You should have joined us near the well."

So you know I was watching.

Of course. I know you were watching. Like you would allow her with me for hours without invisible guards.

"So why is this truck here? "
Aditya turned facing the truck. He counted four five people helping with the boxes. He watched Maithri talking with the men. He didn't hide his adoration for her fully aware her father was fuming, standing beside her.
"Those are the boxes she had brought her pranks in. We are leaving tomorrow. So we are shifting the boxes and most of our employees tonight."
"So you were caught up in this? "
"I was caught up in many things."
Maithri joined them.
"Duckling! I see Aditya is no more a stranger."

Knife straight to the heart father!

"It was interesting to find that with we share a venture with brother Prasanna. Aditay told me about it in detail."
She climbed the steps and faced her father squarely.
"Also I figured if our families are closely tied then I should take a little interest in knowing them. "

The father daughter duo stared each other a full minute. A whole conversation passed in silence. Vikram had openly pushed his daughter in the lion's den. She made her displeasure clear that she was forced into making acquaintance with the lion. Also the consequences would not be controlled by him. Vikram dared her to defy him. A flicker of rebellion ignited in her eyes.
She looked at Aditya. He silently watched the father daughter clash.
"So father, after we look into the contract it might be well into night. Will you still send him for a two and half hours ride to Puna?"
" He can stay overnight."
"Are you staying Aditya? "
"I will go to Mumbai city and stay with my friends. We were anyways planning of a sleepover."
"Nah. You are staying with us."
Vikram interrupted.
"It will be very late by the time we will be done. And I won't allow you to leave at late night. No arguments there young man. "

Thought so, father.

"I will go in the kitchen father. See you later Aditya. "
The two men stared at each other neither backing down.
"Let's go inside Aditya."
They found cups of tea waiting for them in the living room. Vikram handed one cup to Aditya. Neither spoke. The two were still in silent confrontation over Maithri. Vikram regretting over his lapse in guard.  And Aditya making it clear that he would not let go of any opportunity. Still Vikram was adamant in glaring at the young man which Aditya did not even consider.
The secretary and butler came in the room and each picked a cup of tea. The secretary hesitated to speak in the presence of Aditya. Vikram insisted. So secretary started telling about how he had arranged the documents in the office. Most of the things were neatly placed in the desk drawers. The necessary documents and pen drive for Aditya were placed on the desk. He placed the drawer and office keys on the table. Malhothra put a bunch of keys too.  The servant's quarters were also locked. Aditya's car was being brought in front of the house. There was an extra can of petrol in case they needed it at midnight. All their scattered possessions had been brought in their rooms.
"Mr Aditya, you are staying for the night, true. I have kept a pair of Sir's shorts and T-shirt for you in your room. I hope its a decent fit. "
"Thank you."
The cook came and poured himself a cup of tea from the thermos. Aditya drank his tea quietly. The three employees continued talking to their employer. They saw a very annoyed Maithri barge into the living room.
"Why is dinner cooked already? "
She had changed her muddy clothes. It was a loose long sleeved purple top and matching loose pants. Her hair was clipped high. A very homely look. Still Aditya's eyes fixed on her. And that was noticed by the other men in the room. He smiled slightly enjoying their displeasure and establishing that he intended to court her.

The butler explained to her that they all were leaving for Mumbai.
"But you were staying? "
"Yes, I was.  But I got a call from home. My mother is down with a severe fever and has asked for me. So I have to leave now. If possible I will return around midnight or tomorrow morning."
"You are taking our cars. What if we need it at midnight?"
Vikram soothed his daughter.
"Maithri you are sounding insensitive. One thing nothing will happen. And even if something does happen I am sure Aditya will help us."
Aditya nodded.

Of course, he will. Maybe even comfort me a little too closely.

"But why are all leaving?"
"Are you scared Maithri? "
"Yes,  I am. "

I am scared of both you and that locomotive sitting and drinking tea.

"Fine you sleep in my room tonight."