Chapter 12

"We rarely get the right idea at the right time." Maithri said and backtracked at the dark house. Her father was talking to the butler on his mobile phone.

"Father, ask him to call the tenant to chain the dog. "

Vikram did as he was told. She joined Aditya.  The two walked side by side on the dark path, their mobiles lighting the way and sticks assuring them of protection. Of course they were conscious of each other. But then they were more fixated on a lookout for snakes. Or even the shrill voiced insects. Maybe a ghost out for an idle walk.  Quite a list of options. And they were way below on each others options list. The dog soon became the first on the concern list as they neared the tenant cottage.
Soon they were greeted by a ferocious barking. Luckily the dog was chained. The dog relaxed on seeing Maithri. She gave it a pat. Surprisingly it let Aditya touch it. It also gave him a paw for a handshake.

You too!
Traitor!

They told the tenant about their short circuit situation. Asked him to accompany them with useful tools and probably wires. What he lacked with wires he was confident he could help with some improvisations. His wife was another quick witted individual. She was quick to donate some lanterns for the night. The intellectually blessed woman was even ready to give her blessings for Aditya. She had seen Maithri and Aditya near the well the whole evening. But she was endowed with propriety also and kept her opinions to herself.

The three joined Vikram on the porch with the usual..
Oh what happened?
           And.
We should look into it.
            And.
I think this happened.....
             And
A lot more useless opinions.

Vikram was a businessman. He knew everything except what might have happened.
Aditya was an electrical engineer. He knew exactly what happened.
And the tenant who had slight knowledge, knew the whole world's half baked opinions on what might have happened.
In the meantime Maithri went in the house and lighted the lanterns. She came back to the trio's useless discussion still going strong.
"Can we fix it?" she interrupted.
A lot of answers came each supposedly better than the previous, but futile again.
"So what is the solution? "
They did not have a solution. Because they had no wires for rewiring. Also it was dark.
"Father, I am sleepy."
"Well, go in your bedroom then. "
"And bath in sweat without even a ceiling fan? "
"Sorry duckling. Can't help you tonight."
"Is the electric supply the same to the house and those buildings? " Aditya asked pointing to the servants quarters.
"No they are different." Vikram answered. They checked the lights and fans of two rooms. They worked fine. These were sparcely furnished rooms for the employees.

"Father, they will do for tonight."
"Umm.. " Vikram was hesitant.
"I will get your bedding and your things. We will sleep here. "
"What about you Aditya. "
"Aditya will sleep in the next room unless he wants to sleep alone in the dark house."
She dared him. He shrugged his shoulders.
The tenant offered to help but was sent away. The beddings were just small light rolls of cotton which they would spread over the beds in their different homes. Just a fluffy personal belonging they carried.
Vikram sat down on one of the beds in the quarters. He picked his mobile phone once again to make some calls.

"You two bring the beddings. Chop chop its late already."
"Father! You are not coming?"
"Own your words young lady. You said you would bring my beddings and my things. "
"Of course father. I will also get your teddy bear. "
"What teddy bear!!?? "
"And your pain balms and grandpa torch. "
"Maithri!"
"And the comb you use to scratch your back. "

Aditya laughed.

"Get lost Maithri!"

The two crossed to the now haunted house.

"So who actually uses a teddy bear? "
"Really Aditya!? I was ragging father and you only heard the teddy bear?
Anyways right now a grandpa torch would really be useful."

The door opened to a single lantern on the living room table.
"So what extra things are we hauling for you? A night cream, fluffy slippers, a knife under the pillow, a pistol? "
"Back to strong jokes I see. "
She bent down to light another candle
"So you keep a knife. Why? Won't a talisman work better? "

She straightened and looked at Aditya with curiosity. He leaned close to her with a mischievous smile.
"Scared of ghosts. Aren't we?"
"Everyone is. You aren't? "
"Nope. I have you. "

Flirting again?
Seriously why am I even surprised?

She gave him a lantern.
"Collect your things Aditya. "
He climbed the stairs behind her. She could feel his gaze glued on her. She sensed him observing her each and every movement. She wondered for a second maybe he counted how many times she breathed or blinked her eyes.
Neither she could do anything about him nor she cared. She focussed on what she had to do next and next and next. She planned the whole sequence of her actions. She also prepared herself for the type of banter he would suck her into. He was determined to court her and her father was helping him by remaining absent purposefully or not.

He went to his room. He didn't have much belongings anyways. He put his laptop in the wardrobe and locked it. He rolled his pillows, bedspread and duvet in the bedding and went to Maithri's room.He heard the bathroom flush meaning she was in there. He put his bedroll on her bed. He looked in the open handbag on her bed. He didn't look up when she stepped out of her bathroom.

"All supplies are in here, pain balm, comb, cold rub, headache pills..... lip balm! I didn't find marshmellows, horror story books, bath salts? "
"Actually Aditya, I was thinking hand towels, a handwash and yes some cotton to stuff in ears to drain out insect noises. "
"Its just one night Maithri and you are packing so much? "
"My father will ask for his things. And I don't plan on coming here every time he fancies some itsy bitsy thing. You are welcome to share with us. Or maybe not. But I don't mind carrying these supplies."
"Fine! Do you have a moisturizer? "
She gave him her bottle.
"What a girly smell! "
"Then don't use. "
He chuckled.
They next went in Vikram's bedroom. There they rolled all three beddings in one roll and secured with a bed spread. She tied a couple pillows in one bedspread. Then put her handbag on her left shoulder. And put the tied pillows over her right shoulder. Still she stashed a pillow under her right arm. And then held the two lanterns in her free hands.

"Why do men love so many pillows? "
She muttered slowly.
"I don't have an answer to that. "
Aditya answered.
He was walking in her front. He was carrying the voluminous bedroll in his arms. It was not heavy but he needed two arms for the roll. He passed the kitchen. And just then he felt a whack on his back.

"Ouch! Maithri what is that? "

The bedding fell down by instinct. The pain was sharp like he was whacked by a stick. This was not from Maithri. It pained too much for a slap.

"Hey you! What are you doing in the house?"
He heard Maithri's shout.

There definitely was someone. And that someone had whacked him. Aditya jumped over the bedding to avoid another whack. Before he could turn around he heard a man's voice.

"Oh! A girl! "