VII

We pulled up to a cafe in the middle of nowhere, just off of a highway exit, called Rosa's place. 

"You can take off the scarves and sunglasses, we don't need them here," Harry chuckled while tossing his curls from side to side as he looked in the car mirror. I don't know why he bothers, you can't fix perfection. 

He held the door to the cafe open for all of us and we shuffled through the door. The cafe was cozy and quaint, it was very different from the trendy, "insta-worthy", and sterile-looking coffee shops of downtown LA. It was an environment that encouraged you to let out a breath and appreciate the coziness. It reminded me of the hole-in-the-wall coffee shops in New York- the best coffee shops in New York. 

"My baby is here!," A  woman exclaimed, pulling Harry into a tight hug. The woman is older, maybe in her 60s. She is a black woman with snow-white hair which she wore out in a curly afro. 

Harry gently pushed her away and turned to us, "This is my best friend Rosa!" Of course, Harry's best friend in all of Los Angeles is an elderly black woman who owns a cafe, it's very on-brand.

"Who are your friends, baby? Wait, these can't be your three little friends you were talking about from New York? " Harry nodded with a smile on his face. Wow, so he's talked about us. 

"Hi Rosa, I'm Lila, it is nice to meet you," I said extending my hand.

"Oh no sugar, I am a hugger," Rosa said scooping me into possibly the best hug I have ever received "Oh sweetie you are stunning, you remind me of myself in my prime," she said squeezing my cheeks.  

"I'm Addy, and I don't know what Harry has told you but we are only 5 years his junior," Addy said as she gladly embraced Rosa's hug.  

"I'm so happy to meet y'all, Harry has told me great things about you. I'm so happy that he's found some genuine friends on the east coast. I lived in New York City for about a month before I knew for sure the hustle and bustle was not for me. I needed to be somewhere that people took a moment to ask how my day is going- some simple pleasantries or a smiling face. I guess that's just the southern belle in me talking. I'm glad Harry found some kind faces in that big city!" Rosa said at lightning speed. I knew she was from the south, I could detect a Georgia accent because I have family there. I personally hate the south, that's why I moved to NYC, but every once in awhile I meet a kind, old southern soul who makes me appreciate southern hospitality. 

"Don't be shy, tell my Jeff what you want," Rosa urged as she pushed us towards the counter. 

After we ordered we all sat in a cozy booth littered with pillows. Rosa bustled over to our table and set our mugs down then she returned to help Jeff with other customers. Rather than uniform mugs, each of our mugs was different. 

Harry chuckled as we glanced at our mugs in confusion. "Rosa has a variety of mugs and no two are alike. She gives her customers a mug that she feels matches their overall energy and persona. I always get this one," Harry says as he raises his large mug that was blended pastel colors, clearly watercolors. 

I smiled as I ran my fingers over the sunflowers that were handpainted on the cream mug. 

"Is it that obvious," Jon smiled as he raised his black mug with a vibrant rainbow painted on it. Addy twirled her galaxy patterned mug and nodded to herself, no doubt connecting the mug to her appreciation for astrology and universal energy/power. 

"I think the woman is a genius!" Addy chided while sipping her latte. 

"How did you find this place, Harry? It's kind of in the middle of nowhere," I asked.

"Actually the boys and I found this place during one of the first trips to LA. After meeting Rosa for the first time I knew that she was a special woman. We all used to come back and visit her a lot, but eventually, only Zayn and I would come together. We would tell her all about our problems and worries and she would give advice and put us in our place if needed. She would always say "kindness is never wasted." Rosa tells me that Zayn still comes and sometimes he even brings Gigi," Harry said.  I nodded and glanced at Addy and Jon who took this moment to sip their drinks. This was one of the first times Harry had mentioned One Direction and obviously, we all want to know more. We made a pact that we would not pry, but obviously, as die-hard fans, we are curious to know what the dynamic between the boys. Our friendship with Harry comes first and he will reveal what he wants to reveal in due time. It was nice to meet someone in Harry's life. 

After an hour or so of talking and laughing with Rosa, we reluctantly left when a few other customers came in. 

~~~

Unfortunately, the next few days passed by quickly. Harry was busy with interviews, promos, and recording for the majority of the week. Jon, Addy, and I filled our days doing all the touristy LA things that Harry definitely could not join us for without being recognized. We went to Hollywood boulevard, hiked to the Hollywood sign, went back to Rodeo Drive and window shopped, and hit a few beaches. All-in-all it was a great week, we agreed that we could appreciate Los Angeles for what it is but we could never live there. In my opinion, the vibe is a little off, there is something about the people in LA that rub me the wrong way. Everyone just seems a little fake (physically and otherwise). The entire week the song Dying in LA by Panic! at the Disco was stuck in my head. 

Tonight is our last night and we are making homemade pasta. How? I have no idea- none of us can cook. Addy made Enchillades for us once or twice and that was really good, Jon bakes cookies sometimes, and I sample the dough, but that is the extent of our cooking skills collectively. I imagine Harry knows since he suggested it. 

After changing into comfortable clothes I met the rest of the group in the kitchen. I walked into the kitchen and burst into a fit of laughter. Harry, Jon, and Addy were all glaring at me covered in what seemed to be buckets of flour. 

"How did this happen?" I managed to get out between laughs. 

"Harry..."Jon and Addy groaned in unison.

Harry glanced at the two flashing an apologetic smile, "I went to get the flour and I slipped dumping it on, well, all of us...pizza everyone?" he asked already whipping out his cellphone.

~~~

"I can't believe the week is already over," Harry groaned, "I'll miss you lot"

"Aw we'll miss you more Harry, I guarantee it," Addy gushed as she finished off the final slice of pizza. 

We sat in silence for a few moments just enjoying each other's company.

"Do you smoke?" Harry asked. 

"Yeah we do it all; pot, crack, meth, you name it." Jon deadpanned and a flash concern crossed Harry's face.  "No no he's kidding, but we do smoke weed occasionally." I clarified.

"Well I guess tonight is one of those occasions," Harry said as he reached up for a jar that is labeled 'cookies' on his top-shelf. He pulled out a huge bag filled with nuggets along with several pre-rolled joints and he grabbed four, handing us each our own. 

"Wow, usually we share j's, so I'm going to be high as a kite," Addy said grinning from ear to ear.

Harry lit the joints and we sat there and talked at first about life but as people do when they are high, we began to think a little too much. 

"So you know the movie Cars right?" Addy said and we all nodded, "okay so would Lightning McQueen get car insurance of life insurance."

"What the f**k, I have no idea," Harry said at a speed even slower than his usual talking speed- honestly I didn't think it was possible. 

"Okay okay, but what about this... if life is unfair to everyone, doesn't that make life fair?" I declared as I stared up at one of Harry's intricate light fixtures. 

"Well shit," Jon mumbled looking as if he is going to fall asleep at any given moment. 

We continued to talk about anything and everything until I realized it was only Harry and me who have been talking for the last couple of minutes. 

"Harry the children are sleeping, shhhh" I whispered.

"As they should be," he murmured. 

"Lila, you do realize you are one of my best friends right?"

"Yeah, you wouldn't have paid for us all to come out here if I wasn't."

"Good, I just want you to know that you guys are like the little siblings I never had," Harry said and then he too closed his eyes. 

A little sibling, I thought to myself. The best friend label I will gladly take, but something about Harry calling me his little sister I did not like. I continued to stare at his light fixture wondering why such a nice comment bothered me so much. 

~~~One of my favorite pictures of Harry <3~~~