XVIII

We were silent the entire taxi ride from the museum to Chris's Greenwich apartment. I feel like it was a combination of not knowing what to say and not wanting to have this particular discussion in front of the cab driver. 

"I'm sure Addy is fine," Harry whispered while grabbing my hand, clearly taking my silence as concern for my friend's well-being. I flashed him a soft smile and nodded enjoying the feeling of his thumb soothingly rubbing the back of my hand. While I am concerned for Addy, I'm sure she is okay, if Chris did something to hurt her in any way there is no way she would stick around in his apartment. At the moment I'm more concerned about how that kiss is going to affect my friendship with Harry.

The cab pulled up to Chris's building and Harry paid the driver as I went to enter the door code. We ran up the stairs and a distressed Chris opened the door before we could even knock. 

"Thank goodness you guys are here! " Chris said motioning for us to come in.

"What happened?" Harry demanded while crossing his arms, clearly protective Addy. Even though Chris is a nice guy, you can't give anyone the benefit of the doubt. 

Chris ran his fingers through his already disheveled hair, "We were watching a movie and she went to grab a blanket from the closet. After about five minutes I called her to see what was taking her so long, but when I walked into my bedroom I found the blanket on the ground and I could hear her crying in the locked bathroom," Chris rambled, "I tried to get her to open the door for about an hour before I called, I'm sorry I didn't know what to do."

Harry uncrossed his arms and rested a hand on Chris's shoulder, "It's alright mate, we're here now. Lila will go talk to her," I nodded in response and headed into Chris's room to find Addy. 

I could hear the soft sounds of her sniffling from outside the bathroom door as I lightly knocked. "Chris I told you I would come out when I am ready!" she exclaimed clearly annoyed at her boyfriend's attempts to help her. My eyes slightly widened at her harsh tone. 

I took a deep breath, "Addy, it's me, Lila!" 

I heard a gasp and rustling before the door opened to reveal a red-eyed Addy. She quickly pulled me into the bathroom before re-locking the door. 

"What is g-," I was cut off by Addy launching herself at me before continuing to sob into my shoulder. I let her cry on me for a few moments before pushing her off and motioning for her to sit on top of the toilet seat. 

"Care to explain why you're in tears and Chris is close to tears," I began. Addy averted her gaze and took a deep breath. 

"Lila, I found a ring" Addy let out with a shaky breath, "an engagement ring."

"What, Chris said you went to get a blanket," I said shaking my head in confusion. 

"Yeah, I came in his room to grab a blanket, and then I went in his closet to grab one of his hoodies too. A pile of his hoodies came tumbling down and when I was putting them back a black box fell out of one of the pockets. When I opened it I found the most beautiful engagement," Addy continued, "I put it back in the pile and I was too freaked out to go back to the living room and act as if nothing happened so here I am," Addy finished while poorly executing jazz hands. 

"Wow, that's a lot," I sighed. 

"Yeah so now you see why I am here. I'm glad he called you though, now we can be freaked out together,"

"Yeah," I laughed, "Harry is here too, he's trying to keep Chris calm,"

"Wow the whole gang," Addy giggled before it turned into a violent sob, "What am I going to do?" she cried. 

"Well, I think we have seen enough movies to know how this works out. Either Chris was planning to propose to you and you found the ring too early OR it is some family heirloom and he's saving it for his future wife," I suggested with a smile, "but I have a funny feeling it is the first option."

"What is he thinking?! We just graduated a few weeks ago! The average age people get married in New York City is like 32, we have ten more years," she groaned, "we are way too young and we've only been dating for a little over a year."

"Do you love him?"

"Yes, but love does not equate to marriage," she argued and I nodded in agreement, "I want to get married one day, and yes I hope it is to Chris, but not for at least another couple of years." 

"Then you should explain it to him. If the man was prepared to marry you, he obviously wants to be with you for the rest of his life and I'm sure he will do anything to make that happen even if it means waiting another twenty years," I encouraged. 

"You're right, I just don't want to hurt him," Addy said wiping away her tears. 

"The only thing that's hurting him at this point is not knowing why you're upset, it's kinda cute actually."

"Okay," Addy said and stood up to wash away her tried up tears, "Thank you, I love you so much." 

"What are friends for?" I shrugged with a smile. I really wanted to tell her about the events of the past 24 hours, but given the magnitude of her situation, it can wait. 

We made our way out of the bathroom and into the living room where Harry and Chris were sat on the couch. Chris stood up and engulfed Addy in a hug, "Baby, what's wrong," he said softly. 

Not wanting to ruin their moment, I motioned for Harry to follow me out of the apartment. Once we got out into the hallway I told him I would explain in the cab. 

~~~

The cab ride home was devoted to explaining the situation to Harry. To my surprise, he was not shocked. 

"Chris is a romantic at heart, it doesn't surprise me in the slightest that he wanted to propose. I think she should just let him propose and they can have a long engagement; a compromise," Harry suggested. 

"Yeah that's an idea," I agreed as the car pulled up to our building, "Thank you so much," I said to the driver before sliding out. 

"Excuse me, do you mind if I get a photo with you, my kids love your music," the driver asked Harry. 

"Of course," Harry agreed. I paid the driver and they took a quick selfie. The doorman, Joe, smiled and opened the door for us, but not before Harry asked him about his wife and son. This is the reason they all love him, I thought to myself. 

I began to get nervous thinking of our impending conversation. Addy's crisis had derailed the awkward talk I'm sure that will occur as soon as we arrive at the penthouse. I'm assuming he kissed me because he's at least attracted to me, but what does this mean for our friendship, for our future? 

Harry unlocked the door for us and I walked in quickly in an attempt to make a beeline to my bedroom, but not before Harry grabbed my hand and led us to the living room. 

"Let's talk," he said sitting down on the couch.