XIII

"Okay I'm headed out to meet Alex at the gallery, I probably won't be back tonight but I'll see you guys tomorrow!" Jon said as grabbed his leather jacket and rushed out of the apartment. 

Addy and I were sitting in the living room watching New Girl and eating ice cream. Tonight we are taking time for ourselves and perhaps wallowing in self-pity that our best friend is leaving soon and he abandoned us to go hang out with his boyfriend who is moving across the world with soon. We are happy for him, truly.

"Can you believe he left us?" I grumbled shoveling a glob of ice cream down my throat immediately regretting it as the cold hit my nerve endings and a cloud of static hit my brain. 

"Honestly the audacity to leave us sitting here on the couch while he runs off to his boyfriend's art show. Alex always has art shows!" Addy exclaimed waving her spoon in the air causing a chunk of ice cream to slide off and hit the floor. There were a few beats of silence before we burst out laughing at our antics and the 'splat' sound of the ice cream meeting the floor.

I let out a sigh, "We are some bitter bitches."

"We most certainly are," Addy agreed, " and we deserve to be. I am glad he's happy though, he deserves it." 

I nodded in agreement. Throughout our time at NYU we all worked hard, but Jon was the one who always put in an extra hour of studying whenever Addy and I went to sit in the park. He made sure to befriend his professors and he was the class representative in student government. Although he excelled in school, he always dated the worst guys. I may not be Alex's biggest fan but he obviously loves Jon and for that, I can respect him. 

"He finally has the perfect combination of success and love," I added. 

"I mean, don't we? We both start really good jobs after graduation. Even if they are entry-level we can work our way up," Addy said, "I mean CNN and the United Nations, these are the big leagues. We also have Chris and Gray who absolutely adore the ground we walk on," Addy smiled. 

"Well, I don't know about all that," I mumbled.

"What do you mean?"

"Gray and I haven't even dropped the 'l word'"

Addy gasped, "Lila, what? You've been dating for almost six months now! Why didn't you tell me?"

"You never asked," I mumbled, whilst nervously twirling my stray curls from my messy bun around my fingers.

"You guys seemed fine so I just assumed... I guess I should have checked in. I'm sorry," she said reaching over to grab my hand. 

I quickly recoiled my hand "Addy, it's really not a big deal, it's not like I just told you we are breaking up," I laughed.

Addy scoffed, "It doesn't seem like you have a very promising future together."

"Our relationship is still developing..."

"For 6 months! It seems like you are forcing something that just isn't there," Addy reasoned.

"I thought you liked Grayson?!"

"I liked him because I thought he was making my best friend happy, if that's not the case, I could care less about Grayson," Addy stated firmly. 

"Hold up," I said raising my arms in defense, "I do like Gray and he does make me happy- all I said is we aren't in love."

"I just don't want you to stay in this relationship for convenience. If you don't see a future with him, it is better for the both of you to just cut your losses and move on," Addy said matter of factly.