1| The Stranger In The Car

(Author's note: I know most people don't read third person's POV but please, try to read few chapters instead of completely dismissing the book.)

•••••••••••••••••••

"Perfect," Zoey whispered under her breath as she applied one last coat of mascara over her brown eyelashes. She assessed herself in the full length mirror and plastered a smile on her face. The royal blue colour suited her complexion and the silhouette of the dress accentuated her slim figure. She knew she looked good and she didn't need any validation for that.

Slipping her feet into the sandal, she picked up her handbag and made her way downstairs. But before she could step out the house, Rose, the care taker of the house stopped her. "Richard sir is here in the dining room. He wants you to join them for dinner." She said meekly.

A frown appeared on her forehead on hearing her father's name and she silently trudged towards the dining room. On the huge table, her father was propped on the centre and her 12-year old brother Sam was sitting by his side.

"Why are you all dressed up?" Her father asked, observing the preparation of his daughter.

"There is a party at a classfellow's house. I need to be there by 8." Zoey answered and seated herself beside her father.

"You are not going anywhere. There is an interview and I need my family there for the photographs." Richard Crawford said in his authoritive voice.

"So that we can show them that we are a perfect family? No thanks. I would rather be at the party." Zoey replied in a low tone.

"Language, Zoey. And what do you mean by that?" He asked, looking surprised, as if he didn't know why.

"Well, where were you at Sam's recital? We all waited for you." She snarled back and Sam shook her head to stop her from evaporating once again. "Your son needed you but you were too busy handling your business."

Zoey hated her father for always neglecting her and her brother. He provided them everything in the world, except the feel of a family. He didn't care if she was coming home late or even coming home at all, because he was never here to check. He spent most days of the week in other cities, handling different branches of his multinational company.

"I am doing this for both of you." Richard's brown eyes glared into his daughter's matching ones.

"No, you aren't. You are doing this to forget that you have a family. Because for you, we are a constant reminder of Mom's betrayal." She said and her father looked like he was minutes away from exploding. The vein in his forehead has popped out by now on hearing the name of his wife who ran away six years ago with her lover.

"Go back to your room, now." He growled and motioned her to leave.

Zoey clenched her teeth and stood up to leave because she didn't want to spend a minute more in her father's company.

She wasn't going to back away so easily. Her friends were there for her when her father wasn't so she wasn't going to ditch them for his public image. Silently, she stomped back to her room and reached the window beside her bed, to assess how much damage would it make if she jumped from the second floor.

Behind her, she heard someone knock on the door and open it. She turned around, only to find Rose with a tray containing water, some rice, a piece of chicken and some soup for her.