14| A Scandalous Sleepover

"I can't let a girl inside my room at this time of the night. Mom would kill me." Travis shouted at Zoey through the phone and she rolled her eyes so hard that she feared they would pop out of the orbits.

"Oh come on you pus..." She was so close to cursing but then she realised he was her last chance at this moment. "I mean... Please Travis. Do you really want me to spend the night on streets?"

Travis pondered over her words. She was right; he couldn't let her stay in the streets. This area wasn't safe for girls at this time of the night.

"You will be the one responsible if some drunk tried to have his way with me." Zoey said and Travis grew more anxious. He has never slept in a same room with a girl, beside Maya but she was more like a sister to him. But he didn't have any other option than letting her in.

"I... Fine." He finally sighed. "I'll open the main door."

"No, I can't risk getting caught. Just make a rope with some clothes and hang it out." She said and Travis' eyes widened. He couldn't imagine a girl climbing a rope made of clothes to access a room on second floor.

"Wait." He said and retreated into the room. What Zoey was forcing him to do was stupid and dangerous but he couldn't back out now, could he?

Exhaling loudly, he went to his cupboard and pulled out some shirts, tightly securing them with each other. He feared if one of the shirts ripped off, Zoey would end up with a permanent injury.

Once he was sure it was tight enough, he slung the rope over the window and motioned Zoey to climb up. He held it tight between his hands while Zoey slowly pulled herself off the ground. All the while, his hands were getting clammy because of the fear of getting caught or Zoey falling.

"Hold it tight." Zoey said and Travis nodded, sweat appearing on his forehead due to anxiety.

"Just... Just don't fall." He called back and held the rope tight.

Slowly and steadily, Zoey finally reached the window and then hopped over it, falling forwards onto Travis. Not expecting the sudden arrival, his knees wobbled and he stumbled backwards, ending up falling on his floor with Zoey on top of him.

For a small moment, their eyes locked with each other; Zoey's dark brown ones with Travis' hazel orbs. Her proximity made his heart pound against his ribcage and his vision started turning blurred.

"Finally." Zoey said and disentangled herself from Travis, standing up straight and then brushing the dust off her pants. "Thanks, Anderson." She said and lifted her head, only to realize now that Travis was shirtless.

Travis watched as Zoey's eyes travelled down his bare chest, momentarily darkening. He felt conscious under his gaze, although he knew he had a nice body for someone who couldn't afford a gym membership. He walked back towards his study desk and picked up his shirt to put it on.

"I prefer you shirtless." Zoey grinned behind him and he passed her a blank glare. He was angry at her for landing both of them in trouble. If her father knew he helped her in hiding, he would have his men bury him alive.

"You... You are a troublemaker, Zoey." Travis accused.

"I have been called worse." She shrugged.

"Your father must be worried for you. Such attitude will land you in some big trouble one day." Travis huffed and cleaned his room under her calculative gaze.

"If I needed a lecture, I would have stayed in my own house." Zoey grunted. "If you want me gone, just say and I'll leave."

"No." Travis stopped and his shoulders slumped in defeat. "You can spend the night here."