44| For A Friend

In the lunch break, Zoey made her way straight to the school cafeteria, where she found Zachary and Ethan already sitting in the top left table. She propped herself in front of them and took a handful of fries from Zachary's plate.

"Where is Althea and Olive?" She asked, looking at the empty chairs beside her.

"Olive is at the soccer practice and Althea... Well, there she is." He pointed and Zoey angled her neck to look at her. She had her hands full of flower bouquets, which made Zoey confused. Another guy was trailing behind her, picking up the rest of the bouquets.

"Have you started a new flower business or something?" Ethan asked when she reached them.

"Ha ha," she rolled her eyes. "These are some of the gifts from students for winning the pageant."

"More like these are gifts from some desperate horny boys trying to score a chance." Zachary added.

"Whatever. You are just bitter that Maya didn't win. Right?" Althea smirked. "You and your friend should have known better than competing against me."

"You are so obnoxious, sis." Zachary said.

"And you are a backstabber," she hissed. "Brother."

Zoey, who was listening to their argument with a bored face stood up when she noticed Maya and Mario sitting in a corner seat. They both were discussing something with a very serious look on their faces.

She silently made their way to them and asked, "Where is Travis? We had a presentation today and I got a do-over because of him."

Maya and Mario exchanged a glance and then the latter said, "We thought you knew. Travis' Dad was rushed to City Hospital's ER last night after a fall."

"Oh My God! How is he now?" Zoey asked in a worried voice.

"He had a surgery that lasted three hours. Apparently, he had lost a lot of blood." Maya told her. "We went to the hospital before school and he still hasn't woken up from the surgery."

"And Travis? How is he holding up?" She asked.

"Not good. I mean, he was obviously really stressed out." Mario said. "We felt bad leaving him alone but Rose and Travis both insisted that they were fine and we shouldn't skip school."

"Fuck school." Zoey said on hearing this and rushed back to her table, picking up her backpack, mobile and wallet. All her friends were staring at her in confusion, trying to figure out what she was doing.

"What happened? Where are you going?" Althea asked her when she started to walk away.

"Travis' Dad is in the hospital. I am going to meet him, see if he is okay." Zoey told them and then rushed out of the cafeteria.

She then heard Zachary coming after her. "I'll drop you. There is still half an hour before my next class." He offered.

"Okay." She nodded and they both made their way to the parking lot.

••••••••••

Following the receptionist's direction, Zoey reached the floor where all the post-op rooms were. She walked through the hallway, looking here and there for any sign of Travis and stopped walking when she found him sitting on a bench in front of the glass door of a certain room.

"Hey." She said as she reached him. He lifted his head to look at her and pity filled her on noticing his tired, swollen eyes.

"Hi." He replied.

"Here." She extended her hand and gave him the brown parcel. "There is a muffin and a cup of coffee inside."

"I am not hungry." He replied.