39| Man To Man Conversation

Right now, Zoey was in the car with Travis, an awkward silence prevailed between them. They were on their way to Maya's house to pick her up. Neither of them was ready to talk about their kiss last night, especially Travis who had repressed the memory to a silent corner of his mind.

Zoey had worn her clothes from last night again and used one of Travis' jackets to cover her up. With her hair tied in a pony tail, she looked like her regular self, not someone who was almost caught with someone else's husband last night.

Once the car stopped in front of Maya's house, she walked towards the car and when she saw Zoey sitting there, she made her way to the back seat. Zoey expected her to bombard them with trillions of questions but she was decent enough to not ask what she was doing there.

Zoey wished the same could be said about Mario whose mouth formed a smirk when he slid inside the car. "Look like somebody had a fun night." He said and she smiled at him through the mirror, unlike Travis who just huffed angrily.

"Actually, I needed a place to say." Zoey cleared.

"I am sure Travis was more than happy to let you sleep on his bed." Mario commented and I chuckled, earning a narrowed glare from Travis.

Ignoring him, Zoey angled her neck to look at Mario. "Actually, he was too shy to sleep in the same room as me so he slept downstairs."

"He didn't need to know that." Travis argued.

"Yes, I did." Mario said. "Pussy."

"Okay, don't tease him. He is already really grumpy this morning." Zoey said and both Mario and Maya grinned at this.

"I bet he is. Last night must have been particularly hard for him." Mario said.

"Hey, that's what I said." Zoey leaned forwards and gave Mario a high five.

Travis rolled his eyes at both of them and silently kept driving, until they finally reached the school's parking lot. He and his friends made their way to the usual spot while Zoey went to meet her friends.

The whole school was decorated with the banners of the beauty pageant that was supposed to be held on Sunday. Travis couldn't understand why any girl would take part in a demeaning fancy dress competition and present herself to three judges like she was a piece of meat. It just didn't make any sense to him. Well, it won't be the first time he fails to understand girls and their stupid logic.

"I didn't expect it from you at least." He said to Maya. "Why would you take part in a stupid pageant?"

"Hey, I am a teenage girl. I have every right to do stupid things. Besides, It's not about the pageant. It's just a way to achieve confidence and feel good about myself, that's if I win." She replied.

"Well, if you want to win, I wish you do. But even if you don't, I won't care because you are still perfect in every way and I don't think you need a pageant to tell you that." Travis said.

"Aww. Did you just give me a compliment?" Maya attempted to pinch his cheeks but he jerked away before she could reach him.

"Forget what I said. You are a brute." Travis said.

"There is no going back now, Travis." Maya giggled and her giggles stopped when her eyes fell on Zachary talking to a girl. A strange bitter feeling erupted in her stomach that has no reasonable explanation.

••••••••••

It was Saturday and Travis was supposed to tutor Sam today. He reached Crawford's mansion at 5 in the evening and went straight towards their lounge where Sam was sitting alone, playing a video game.