12| Entering The Princess' Castle

"The movie was absolute waste of time. I don't understand girls who fall for a guy head over heels immediately and are willing to sacrifice everything for him. Girl, do you even know him? What if he is an addict? Or worse, a Donald Trump supporter?" Althea was rambling on and on about the movie they watched last night while sitting at their usual spot.

"It was a romantic comedy. And that's how romance works. You see a person and you realise that you want to spend your whole life with her." Ethan commented and Althea rolled her eyes.

"Maybe in movies. But in real life, you need to do a full background check these days." She said.

"Would you do a full background check on a guy you love?" Ethan raised his eyebrows.

"Of course. How else would I fall for him? I need to make sure he is the best guy out there. Talented, smart, rich, handsome, classy." Althea counted her checklist on fingertips.

"My sister is going to die alone, you guys." Zach sighed.

"Well, if the worst comes, I am always available for her." Ethan winked at Althea and she faked a gag.

"I don't think it will ever come to that." She said and Ethan pouted.

Olive was the first one to notice that Zoey wasn't saying anything and was lost in her own thoughts, with her eyes fixated on the ground.

"Zoey, what do you think?" She said and hearing this, Zoey pulled herself out of her chain of thoughts.

"I... Um... I am a little tired. I will see you guys later." She said and excused herself, making her way towards Literature class. She was still not sure what was worrying her more; the fact that she was grounded for a week or the fact that maybe, just maybe, she really was a spoilt brat.

The classroom was mostly empty, with just the Mr. Ray sitting there and grading something while waiting for all the students to arrive. There were still five minutes before the class starts.

On one of the back seat, Travis was sitting alone, jotting something down on a piece of paper. Bracing myself, she made her way to him and sat down on the seat beside him.

"Hi," she said and he lifted his head to look at me.

"Hi," he said dryly.

"Um... About last night, I'm sorry. I didn't know it was your Mom." Zoey said and Travis' face remained the same.

"So is it okay if it is someone else's mother?" He said and Zoey gulped hard.

"I... Um... I didn't mean that. I.. I just didn't realise I was being rude." She defended herself.

"It's okay, Zoey. You don't have to explain yourself. I understand that for you, it's normal to behave to a servant this way. Just because we are classmates doesn't mean you owe me or my mother anything." He said and with every line, Zoey felt herself falling down and down in his eyes.

"I am not... God, I wish I could tell you I am not like that but the reality is, I am. I let my anger take the best of me sometimes and then I don't realise my words can hurt someone." Zoey's voice was laced with guilt.

Travis was going to say something more but Mr. Ray's voice echoed in the classroom and she realised that the class has already started. "So class, just a little reminder, you have to submit the analysis on chapter 1-4 tomorrow. Are you working on it?" He asked and both Zoey and Travis exchanged a glance. They haven't worked on it yet.

"What are we going to do about it?" She whispered to him.

"We can meet after my shift." He suggested.