twelve.

"This better not be a party."

I eyed Lindsee suspiciously as we stood on the platform waiting for our train which apparently was only four minutes away but it had said that five minutes ago.

I knew I shouldn't complain, it was very rare that the tubes were late.

"I said it's not!" Lindsee defended herself, "Niall said it'll just be us and maybe Zayn would drop by, he wasn't sure. No party in sight."

I looked at her for a few seconds before accepting her answer, this was going to be the first year in I guess three that I wasn't going to be going out out or having a party for my birthday and frankly I was happy about it.

I mean it wasn't like I didn't have anything to be happy about, I did; Lindsee liked the second flat we saw yesterday and James, my lawyer, said it was all good to go so we were going to be able to sign the lease at the end of the week.

Lindsee had also gotten the job at her old law firm and she her first day on Monday so we were really happy about that, I knew she was excited to have more disposable income too, I'd soon realised she really liked eating out.

I had gotten another wordless deposit of money into my bank account from my Father and while it hurt and I knew I should be used to it, it reassured me he wasn't planning on dropping by anytime soon.

I gripped Lindsee's wrist the minute the train pulled into the platform, she was getting better at it but I still felt the need to guide her sideways from the doors so the people getting off could get out easily before we slipped into two empty seats.

"Are you alright? You're very quiet." Lindsee nudged me and I hummed.

"Just thinking." I smiled at her, aware of the way she looked at me suspiciously before nodding.

"About what?"

"Just stuff I guess. Mostly the fact we were still in New York a month ago, life moves fast."

"I know, it's almost like time doesn't exist." Lindsee laughed and I laughed in agreement.

"If only," I muttered, "I'm twenty four, I feel so old."

"Please," Lindsee snorted as I glanced out the window and I nudged her to get up. "Twenty four is not old."

I looked at her pointedly just as she grabbed a hold of the pole to steady herself and I laughed quietly to myself making her pout.

"Sorry for not being a seasoned rider." Lindsee moaned making me laugh as we made our way out of the underground and I hummed.

"You'll get used to it."

The two of us walked in silence towards Niall's flat and I looked around the area, Soho was pretty nice and pretty pricey; I couldn't believe that Harry could afford it now. I mean, that was assuming that the lived here.

But Niall had said he'd moved closer to where he lived so I was just guessing, but he'd also said that Harry had a new job.

I chewed my lip as Lindsee pressed the buzzer alongside N. Horan. and I smiled to myself at how confident she was doing that, clearly she'd been here a few times since she moved here.

"Oh, I forgot to say even if Niall gives you really cool presents can you just lie and say mine were better yeah?" Lindsee asked as we stood in the lift and I laughed.

"Why would I need to lie?" I questioned her making her smile and hug me sideways and I laughed again. "I'm being serious, nothing will ever top the prayer candle with a picture of my best friends face on it."