Chapter 1 - Mia Rodriguez

"Mia, we're going to miss the train if you don't get down here now!" my mom shouts.

I received my Hogwarts letter about 3 months ago. I have been waiting for this day for almost my entire life.

"Mia! You've been reading your letter nonstop all summer that I'm sure you have it memorized by now, so can you put it down and help me put the bags in the car." My older brother Charlie groans.

"Shut up," I yell back.

Charlie is in his 3rd year and I am excited but also a bit annoyed that I'm going to school with him.

 "Mia, honey, let's go!" my mom yells.

**

When we made it to Kings Cross I begin looking for the platforms 9 and 10. I've come to the platform many times to pick up and drop off my brother for the school year. I waved goodbye to my parents while I stepped onto the train and my knees began feeling weak. I've never spent so long away from them. I watched my brother go into a compartment with his friends, so I began walking the opposite direction looking for an empty one. I walk down the train until I notice a girl who's alone. She has shoulder length blonde hair and is wearing a sweatshirt and jeans. She's waving goodbye to her parents from the window.

"Is anyone sitting here?" I ask abruptly and she jumps in her seat. "No. You can sit here if you want." and turns her head back to the window. I put my stuff in the overhead cabin and sit across from her.

"Hi, I'm Mia," I say, holding out my hand for her to shake.

She examines my hand for a second before shaking it. "Hey, I'm Jamie, nice to meet you, Mia." she says with a weak smile.

A couple minutes later, another girl with poofy brown hair walks up in the door and asks quietly if she can sit. I nod at her as she sits next to me. She begins to take out her book.

"What's your name?"

"Alana."

'Nice to meet you, Alana. I'm Mia and this is Jamie"

"Hey." 

We begin talking about the houses and the trolley lady comes in later. Alana falls asleep halfway through the ride and Jamie and I continue talking, until we are told to get on our proper robes for school. 

**

We finally get to Hogwarts, we are greeted by a half-giant named Hagrid. He takes us to these small boats that began move by themselves across a lake. The water looked dark with only the reflection of the stars being visible. As I watched water and I saw the tip of a tower in the reflection and looked up quickly.

The beautiful Hogwarts from the stories was right in front of me and it all felt so surreal. As we moved closer I heard the gasps of the other first years and at that moment I knew that this was where I belonged.

EDITED

Word count - 495