Chapter 2 - Jamie Wilson

All I've ever wanted in life was to be a chaser, like favorite Quidditch player Wilda Griffiths. But my parents believed it was waste of time so I want to prove them wrong. It's not that they are completely against it but they do feel my dreams should be more"realistic". 

I've never had any real friends and I'm an only child, so my parents are really all I have.  So when I finally got my letter I thought I could have a fresh start. Branch out a bit and not be around my bickering parents all the time.

**

The castle it looks even bigger up close. The doors to the inside are larger than the whomping willow with beautiful carvings along the edge. When the doors open we are greeted by the stairs shifting over us. We are carefully led up the stairs, trying not to stumble over each other as they move. I regain balance and look up at a painting of a beautiful young maiden holding a baby. She looks us at me with a warm smile and waves and I return the gesture

"Look at the new first years, how adorable!" Yelps a young witch, reading by a tree.

"I hope you're ready for a fantastic year at Hogwarts!" Says an old wizard in a long purple robe.

We all watch the variety of paintings, then once we pass the last set of stairs we are greeted by an old witch that looks vaguely familiar. We all go quiet as she looks at us with an intense stare, and I begin twindling my fingers with anxiousness.

"My name is Professor Minerva McGonagall, headmistress of Hogwarts," She finally says with a soothing voice that calms me a bit.

Then I suddenly remember where I've seen her. She was on one of my chocolate frog cards. Professor McGonagall then begins explaining the sorting ceremony, "Before you start your year at Hogwarts, you must be sorted into your houses. There are: Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, and Slytherin." she continues. Then turns and walks to the door behind her and motions us to follow.

The door then opens revealing the great hall with what looks like thousands of students sitting at 4 long tables and we are lead through the middle of it. When we walk closer to the front I see a small stool with something sitting on top of it. Then I recognize the objects shape. The Sorting Hat.

**

We stop at the end of the hall and Professor McGonagall walks up to the stool with the hat sitting peacefully on it. She picks it up and announces, "When I call your name step up to the stool and allow the Sorting Hat to choose your house." I watch as the Hat moves slowly like it had just woken up from hibernation and recite,

"Oh, you may not think I'm pretty,
But don't judge on what you see,
I'll eat myself if you can find
A smarter hat than me.
You can keep your bowler black,
Your top hats sleek and tall,
For I am the Hogwarts Sorting Hat
And I can cap them all.
There's nothing hidden in your head
The Sorting Hat can't see,
So try me on and I will tell you
Where you ought to be.
You might belong to Gryffindor,
Where dwell the brave at heart,
Their daring, nerve, and chivalry
Set Gryffindors apart;
You might belong to Hufflepuffs are true
And unafraid of toil;
Or yet in wise old Ravenclaw,
If you've a ready mind,
Where those of work and learning,
Will always find their kind;
Or perhaps in Slytherin
You'll make your real friends,
Those cunning folks use any means
To achieve their ends.
So put me on! Don't be afraid!
And don't get in a flap!
Your in the safe hands (though I have none)
For I'm a Thinking Cap!"

The room bursts out in applause, excited for the Sorting to begin. Then silence as they calm down waiting in anticipation for McGonagall to begin the ceremony. She picks up the scroll and calls out the first name.

"Arangie, Alisha." she calls out. A dark black haired girl walks up to the stool not looking like she has a single nervous bone in her body and takes a seat. The hat is placed on her head barely before it calls out "SLYTHERIN!" And the table on the left end begins clapping and cheering for the girl. 

"Contreras, Mia." she says next. I look over and she is completely frozen, standing lifelessly as McGonagall calls her name once more "Mia Contreras?" She repeats. This time I nudge her elbow and she wakes up from her trance to slowly walks over. She sits down and McGonagall places her hat on her head. The Hat mumbles to itself for a moment and calls out, "GRYFFINDOR!" And the table next to me erupts in excitement clapping and cheering for her as she walks over.

**

One by one all the students get sorted, which makes me less nervous because it doesn't matter which house I get into because they will all cheer and except me, like a family.

Lost in my thoughts I don't hear McGonagall call my name but then I hear her say, "Jamie Wilson?" Quickly I walk up and she places the hat on top of my head. "Hm, yes I see," it begins. "You are a very difficult case. I haven't seen one of those in years. You have some traits of a Slytherin, but wits of a Ravenclaw, and the Loyalty of a Hufflepuff. Yes, but I, the Sorting Hat, knows one more than they know themselves. I know just where to put you... GRYFFINDOR!"

I hear the hall erupt in applause as I walk over to the Gryffindor table. I sit next to Alana and Mia, who both grin happily at me.

EDITED

Word Count - 943