Chapter 10 - Jamie

Today we had a 5-hour practice and it was so hard. Literally the hardest I have ever worked. Do I care? Not really. I love it so I don't mind. But someone did.

"That...was...the hardest...I've worked...ever," says Mia.

"Stop being so dramatic," I tell her.

"It's not my fault you have the energy of a fucking hippogriff," she says still out of breath.

"Hahaha! Come on, let's go back to the dorm so we can change for our study session with Lizzie and Alana," I tell her.

"Ok," she says.

**

"So how did Quidditch go?" asked Alana.

"I almost died," says Mia.

"No you didn't, a 5-hour practice isn't that bad!" I tell her.

"Yes, it is!" she says and Lizzie laughs.

Just then an owl came into the Library and dropped off a letter in front of me. I was confused since mail day isn't until Sunday and there wasn't a reason to get a letter. It couldn't have been a howler because I've been getting really good grades with the help of my friends. I looked at the person who sent it and it was my mom.

It said:

Dear  Jamie,

Hi dear, how's school going. I just wanted to tell you that I have talked to Professor McGonagall and she said that it was alright if you came home for about a week as long as you bring along most of your work. There's something going on with me and your father and we would rather tell you in person than in a letter. So tomorrow get up bright and early and pack up all the things needed so you can come home. Then go to Professor McGonagall's office and you will use Floo powder to come home. Love you so much and see you tomorrow!

Love, Mom

I can't believe it. I have to go home for a week and I don't even know why? This is crazy.

"What happened?" asked Lizzie.

"Oh, um, nothing I just... have to go home for the rest of the week," I told them.

"Wait what! Why?" asked Mia.

"I don't know my parents didn't tell me. And I'll be back before you can say Quidditch." I say.

"Ok. When are you leaving?" asked Alana.

"Uh, tomorrow morning," I tell her.

"We'll miss you," says Mia.

"Gosh, stop being so sad. I haven't left yet!" I tell her.

**

"Bye!" I say.

"Bye! We'll miss you!" they yell after me as I walk out of the common room.

It took about 20 min to get to the main office and then when I got there it's like she already knew I was there because when I got closer to the door Professor McGonagall opened the door.

"Come in, come in. Have a biscuit," she told me.

"Um...thank you," I said.

"Okay, let me just get the powder and you'll be home in no time," she said.

She looked around her desk for a little bit then took out an antique bowl. Then she took out almost a handful of powder and gave it to me. Professor McGonagall led me to the fireplace and said to stand inside it and say "Wilson Manor". I did as she told me and then I felt a slight amount of heat. It wasn't like it burned me it just felt like when the sun hit your back and you're wearing a sweatshirt. As quick as I left, I was back home. Then I saw my parents waiting on the couch. My mom came running towards me.

"Honey, we missed you so much!" she says.

"I missed you guys too. But I have only one question. Why exactly am I here?" I asked.

"Well, sweetheart, you see...sometimes marriages don't work out and-" my dad starts to say but then I cut him off.

"You"re getting a divorce aren't you?" I asked. My anger rising up inside of me.

"Yes." he said.

"I can't believe you! You're just going splitting up just like that! What's going to happen to me? Where am I going to live?" I yelled.

"Well, you're going to be with me for one holiday and with your father for the other." My mom said.

"What?" I asked.

"Well it's complicated. We'll figure it out." says my dad.

"Okay...can I go back to Hogwarts? I'd rather be anywhere else but here." I asked.

"Of course, you can go back in the morning." he said.

Then I quickly went up to my room not knowing what to do so I wrote a letter to my friends.

The next day

"You ready to go back? You know you can always come home when you want to." says my dad.

"Yeah, I know. I'll see you during Christmas," I said. I walk into the fireplace and my mom hands me some Floo powder. I say, "Hogwarts: Professor McGonagall's office." then right when I left I was back in her office.

"Hello, Ms. Knapp. How are you doing?" she asked.

"I'm doing fine, thank you. May I go back to my common room?" I asked.

"Of course," she said.

I walk out and go straight to the common room to see my friends. As I walk in they are all sitting there. Mia is reading a book and Noah is sitting next to her, and Alana and LIzzie are playing wizards chess. There are a few other people there too but I don't pay attention to them.

"Jamie!" Lizzie screams. Everyone goes quiet. "Sorry."

"What are you doing back so early?" asks Mia as she gets up from the couch.

"Well, something did happen so I wanted to come back. No big deal," I said.

"Okay," said Mia.

I went back up to the dorm to unpack.

2 days later

I've been thinking about this way too much. I can barely eat or get out of bed in the morning. And I've cried 3 times in 2 days. I don't know what to do anymore.

"Hey Jamie, can we talk to you?" asked Mia.

"Um yeah sure...what's happening?" I ask as calmly as I can.

"Stop," says Alana.

"What?" I ask.

"Stop pretending you're okay. We know that somethings not right and we want to help. You know you can tell us anything, right?" Lizzie asks.

"Yeah, ok...um," I say. I can feel a tear fall down my cheek. "My parents are getting a divorce."

Then all of a sudden I feel something. It's my friends coming next to me and giving me a hug. 

"I can't believe it. I can't believe that I'm witnessing one of the strongest people I know, cry," Lizzie says as her voice breaks sounding like she's about to cry too.

"We will always be here, standing right beside you. Always," says Mia.

"I know," I say.

And I meant it. Because I do know and always have known... that my friends will always be there, right beside me.

EDITED

Word Count: 1167