Chapter 2: Neighbors

"Will she be okay?" Sebastian asks. The voices of the men around her sounding muffled up until now.

"She'll be okay, Mr. Miller," the man in a white jacket reassures, "she just suffered from dehydration and vasovagal syncope, which is very common-"

"What's vasovagal syncope?" Another man questions, his arms bare and visibly crossed, leaning up against the door frame, "I hear it can be vital to some kind of a heart disorder."

"Vasovagal syncope is a drop in heart rate and blood pressure," the man informs, "and after running a few tests, Ms. Farmiga is proven to be clear of any heart problems or disorders."

"Mrs. Miller," Sebastian corrects awkwardly, looking over at the southern man who was already glaring at him pitifully.

"Yes, my apologies," Dr. Anderson nods, "Mrs. Miller should rest in bed for about another hour. She was lucky to have Mr. Wilson nearby to catch her fall, otherwise, she would've had a bad concussion."

"Thank you, doctor," Sebastian says, looking over the papers as he led him out the bedroom door, "I'll show you the way out."

Once the doctor was out of sight, Sebastian climbed up the stairs and strolled back into the room to find Patrick standing beside his wife, who was sitting up on the bed.

"So you're our next-door neighbor?" He chuckles, walking over to the right side of the bed, plopping the papers down on his nightstand.

"Yeah," Patrick grins, taking a seat on the edge of the bed as he hands Vera her warm cup of tea, "I also went ahead and bought the groceries she had in her basket if you don't mind."

"You bought my groceries?" Vera asks in a raspy, soft voice, reaching over to open her nightstand drawer, "How much was it? I'll repay you."

"No need," Patrick gleams reassuringly, closing the drawer before she could spot her wallet.

"Well, how about you stay for dinner?" Vera suggests, Patrick's warm smile being the cause of the sudden clutter of butterflies in her stomach.

"I'd love to, but I've got to meet up with my brother soon to deal with some family business," Patrick says, "But if you'd like, I have a grill-out going on tomorrow night at my place, it's for my brothers birthday."

"Oh, no... I wouldn't want to interrupt a family gathering-"

"What time is it at?" Sebastian asks, taking a seat on his side of the bed.

"It's at around 7 o'clock," Patrick grins, "but I suggest you come over at around 6."

-

After changing into a comfortable pair of dark jeans, converse, a cap, and a pullover hoodie, Vera was ready to go. She slips her phone into her hoodie pocket along with her wallet before exiting their shared bedroom. "Honey, you ready to go?" Sebastian calls from downstairs, already bundled up in a jacket and a cap.

"Yeah," Vera smiles, skipping down the stairs as she fixed her loose waves of brunette hair.

"You're keeping your hair down?" He smirks, his eyes immediately trailing down to the ripped jeans she was wearing, "and you're wearing those jeans? With all those rips?"

Vera looks down at herself and looks over all the rips trailing from her ankle up to her thigh. She didn't think much of it until now, "what's wrong with them?" Vera asks, already knowing the answer.

"Your skin is way too exposed," Sebastian scoffs, running his fingers over her bare skin, "are you trying to impress anyone?"

"No honey, of course not," Vera says softly, fear radiating inside of her as she watches his fingers brush over her skin, "I think it's fine, sweetie, it's just my legs."

Before responding, Sebastian pulls his hand away from her and reaches for the door handle, twisting the door open. "Fine, wear whatever I guess," he mumbles, his fingers harshly entwining with hers, "just stay by me, please."

"Of course."

Once Vera managed to lock the house, they went along the sidewalk towards the house next door, noticing the door already unlocked they step inside.

"Hello?" Vera calls out, happy to see Patrick in sight through the sliding glass doors, preparing the grill in his backyard patio, "Patrick?"

Patrick turns around from his position at the grill and smiles when he recognizes the couple at his door. Before going inside to greet them he places his cloth on the table, closing down the lid of the grill.

"You made it," Patrick says cheerfully as he stepped inside. He was wearing a loose plaid shirt and a pair of fitting jeans, his sleeves were rolled up, revealing his built arms.

"Is the food ready?" Vera jokes, bringing the sweet man into a hug.

"Not quite," Patrick smirks, his smile growing wider, "still waiting on my brother to get here."

"Well, can I help you with anything?" Vera questions, pulling away from him, "it's the least I can do."

"I guess you can," Patrick smiles, pointing to his kitchen table, "I've got a few refreshments and condiments over there, maybe you can help me set the table?"

"Yeah, sure! That's no problem," Vera responds happily as she strolls over to the kitchen table, taking as many refreshments as she could carry before going out to the patio.

"Hey," Sebastian mumbles, waiting until Vera was out in the yard before pulling Patrick towards him.

"Hey," Patrick says, noticing the kind expression on Sebastian's face disappear within seconds, "anything wrong?"

"Just do me a favor and stay away from my wife," he scolds, glaring at him.

"Well, Ok I uh-"

"Stay away from her," Sebastian says again, picking up his voice, "Got it?"

"Yeah," Patrick responds bitterly, glaring at him, "I got it."