Chapter 17: Claire

There he was, drinking his life away.

The night has hardly started and Patrick was already moping over by the free bar. He talked to some friends here and there but had yet to leave his stool that sat near the wall. Patrick was slouching over his newly handed drink when his head subconsciously began to face the crowd, strangely finding interest in watching the different guests file in, one happy couple after the other.

Thankfully, before he got a proper intake of whiskey, the bridesmaids and groomsmen called him over to the other side of the banquet hall, preparing themselves for a traditional entrance to the head table up on the stage, "Pat, how much have you had?" Adrian chuckles, playfully slapping a hand on his shoulder.

"Not many," Patrick laughs, "don't worry, I won't collapse. I'm not that type of drunk anyways."

"We better hope so," Claire smiles, looping her arm around his before continuing, "I can't catch you, you know."

Before they knew it, the music they were supposed to move along to began, everyone was partnered up as they went on to wave to the crowd, walking arm in arm, some spinning their partners, some dipping. Patrick was going to be fantastic at this.

Lastly, Patrick's name was called along with Claire's as they proceeded to walk in a nice rhythm. The two were halfway there before Patrick took a long glance at Claire, lifting his arm over her head to spin her smoothly. Claire was beaming a smile and had a very noticeable shade of pink on her cheeks after that beautiful twirl... maybe Sawyer was right about his sister... maybe she was crushing on the tall man before her after all.

With that thought in mind, and literally nothing else due to the whiskey finally getting to his head, he decides to surprise her. Right before climbing up the steps, he nudges her towards him, carefully cupping her face before moving in to kiss her. A few moments after hearing the crowd whoop-ing and hollering at them he pulls away, finding a shocked but smiley Claire just gawking right back at him, surprisingly still standing.

-

After finally getting the beautiful speech he has written off of his chest, and going over to hug Saywer and his bride as they were most certainly on the verge of tears, he stood at his chair and raised his glass, everyone in the room doing the same.

"To Sawyer and Mandy," he cheers, turning to face the now standing pair, "let there always be everlasting love, trust, and patience. I'd also love to be an uncle."

The room bursts into laughter before the wonderful combination of cheering and the clinking of glasses filled the room. And once everyone had finally taken a seat, he did the same, taking a tiny sip of his champagne before his eyes began scouting over all of the packed tables.

Patrick's felt his face flush pale almost immediately, becoming so zoned out that he couldn't even feel Claire place a hand over his own. Why was he reacting this way? Why does he always react this way even at the smallest glimpse of this woman?

Vera Ann Farmiga, what was she doing here? Was she a friend? Perhaps of the bride? He was berserk by the time dinner service was going around, and not once did Vera look his way in the time being.

Why would she want to look at him? They spent a long night together not too long ago and now it looked as if he was seeing the Maid of Honor. So with that, he took both of his hands off and away from the table, folding his arms before angrily leaning back against the chair, "Patrick? Is... everything okay."

"I'd be lying if I said it was," he nods confidently, his face then instantly softening at the look of confusion and defeat on the Maid of Honors face, "Sorry, it's just... I don't think I'm ready for anything if that makes sense."

"No, it's okay," Claire says, shooting him a genuine smile, "I get it, Patrick."

"You do?" Patrick questions.

"Sure," Claire says, her eyes darting to her right, watching the gorgeous brunette-haired lady get up from her table and walk across the empty dance floor, "looks likes she's off to the ladies room," she whispers, nudging Patrick with a wide grin.

"Wha- wait what?" Patrick asks with a perplexed look on his face, slowly starting to stand up from the table, "how did you-"

"Just go, you dollface," Claire smirks, nudging him off, "no time to explain."

"Okay, okay" he smiles in a murmur, going down the steps and mouthing the word thanks before directing his attention on Vera, who was almost out of sight. "Vera?" he calls out, dashing after her, searching for her anxiously at the main entrance, "Vera,"

"Patrick," at the sound of her willing voice he spins around, swallowing hard as he tried to hide the pain and guilt he was feeling within, "Hi."

"Hey," Patrick mumbles, suddenly feeling the slightest spark of hope.

"We need to talk," Vera says with a nod, taking in some air before pulling him after her.