Chapter 4: Just A Dream

It was the after gathering, except it felt more of like an after party. Patrick said his goodbyes to some of his friends before quietly swinging the door shut, not bothering to lock it knowing Vera offered to stay behind and help him clean.

"You know you didn't have to stay," Patrick says softly, watching Vera turn to face him from behind the kitchen counter.

"It's really the least I could do," Vera sighs, leaning up against the marble surface, "it almost makes up for my drunk husband, crashing your lovely gathering."

"He didn't mess it up, don't worry about that," Patrick shrugs, taking a damp cloth from his kitchen sink and wiping down his face, as well as his still exposed arms, "where's he now?"

"I took him home," Vera mutters, looking at Patrick with her arms crossed, "he looked as if he was about to pass out so, there's that."

Patrick fidgeted with the cloth in his hand, wiping his hands down in the process. He closely watched as Vera's happy face grew into an exhausted expression, noticing her pink, vibrant face quickly fade into a depressing, pale color within minutes.

Before saying anything he watches her, finally taking action when her eyelids forcefully began to collapse over her eyes, "Vera?" Patrick says, his voice slightly shaky as he twists the sink water on and dampens his cloth under the cold stream of water, "Are you ok?"

Patrick dashes over to her side and lands the wet, relieving cloth on her forehead, wrapping his arm around Vera's waist for support in case her legs also decided to give up on her. "You're okay, just stay with me," Patrick gently pleaded, picking her up from her slouched position on the counter and carrying her over to the living room, gingerly placing her on the couch.

"Vera?" Patrick says, his worry only growing at the sight of Vera's eyes already shut tight.

"Hmm?" Vera mumbles, her lips parting a little as the quiet hum escaped her mouth, "Sebastian."

"I'm here," Patrick responds, taking a seat on the very end of the couch, giving Vera as much personal space as possible as he holds the cold cloth on her relaxed face, "are you with me still?"

"Mhm," Vera murmurs, her hum trailing off this time, her brow suddenly scrunching.

Patrick sat there for a minute or two, noticing the furrow of her brow last for more than a minute as if she was looking at something strange, "Patrick." Vera whispers, opening her eyes but only partly, revealing only a segment of her blue spheres.

"What is it?" Patrick asks, relieved to see Vera awake and still somewhat conscious. As the question rolled off his tongue Vera pulled him in closer, opening her eyes wider at the sight of him again.

"Who was that?" Vera breathed, drawing her attention to the area behind Patrick, forcing her to maneuver her head to either side of him, "do you have a daughter?"

"A-a daughter?" Patrick asks stuttering, skeptical to follow Vera's gaze on the area behind him, right beside the coffee table, "I don't have a daughter."

At that response, Vera jolts up into a sitting position, "well, does anyone else stay here?"

"No," Patrick says, a stern look upon his face, "take it easy, hun, you almost lost consciousness again-"

"That's- I saw a girl," Vera says, her breath hitching as her eyes continue to scan the area.

"A girl?" Patrick asks, his voice calm despite his despised appearance.

"Yeah, a girl," Vera mumbles, noticing Patrick scoot up closer beside her, his dark blue eyes never leaving hers.

"You're not making any sense, Vera," Patrick calmly says, "do you need some water, do you-"

"She was a little girl."

At this time, Patrick already stood up from the couch and strolled over to the kitchen to fetch Vera a cold glass of water and a fresh cloth. When he came back and reclaimed his spot next to her, he handed her the items, making sure she stayed awake and fully aware of what she was telling him.

"Do you feel dizzy? Light-headed at all?"

"No," Vera smiles, her eyes finally leaving the area next to the coffee table, her vision of the little girl slowly erasing itself mentally, "I think I'm okay."

"You must have been dreaming or something."