Chapter 13: Nothing But Trouble

Sunlight peeked through the blinds of the simple bedroom. Vera woke up due to a slight shuffle of drawers beside her. She lousily tries to open her eyes but miserably fails as the sunlight was going into her eyes.

Vera turns away from the window, combing a hand through her loose brunette hair as she sits up, "I didn't mean to wake you," he says with a smile, his tone of voice emitting discomfort.

"It's fine, I usually wake up at this time anyway..." Vera reassures in a mumble, fully widening her sleepy eyes to a digital clock that read, 6:43 am, and a shirtless Patrick who was already holding a set of folded clean clothes.

"I was just gonna go take a shower if you don't mind," he nods, rubbing his neck as he goes out the door. Vera feels the need to watch the man walk out the door, his unvarnished back curiously becoming a not-so-disappointing view, "make yourself at home." Patrick smiles as he twists around, getting a better look at Vera before stepping into the bathroom and closing the door behind him.

Her eyes followed him up until he was out of sight, and so out of instinct she blankly glared at the beige painted wall. As Vera hears the shower turn on, and unexpectedly some of Patrick's tuning voice, she decides to get up and out of bed, fixing it up the way he liked it before walking into his kitchen and taking a seat, scrolling through her social media and messages out of tendency.

About five minutes in she hears the water turn off and listens in as the door creaks open, Vera turns to face him and smiles, she's definitely never heard Patrick sing before and wanted to compliment him, but he was quick to change the topic. "Coffee?" Patrick asks, massaging a small towel into his dark hair before continuing into his kitchen.

"A coffee sounds great," Vera says, the corners of her mouth still curled. She watches him dally around his kitchen, looking for his car keys.

"You've ever been to Julia's?" he asks softly, it was clear to Vera that Patrick wasn't much of a talker in the morning.

"I haven't," Vera replies as if it was obvious, "will I like it?"

"We would have an issue if you didn't like it..," Patrick smirks, dangling his keys as he pulls them out of a drawer, "come on, we have no time to waste."

After a short drive to the local coffee shop they park, Vera was about to step out of the car up until Patrick gently took a hold of her arm, catching her attention, "you don't have to go if you want," Patrick says as he unbuckles his seat belt, "it's take out, I'll just get it for you."

"Must be a great coffee shop if it's only got take out," Vera smiles, "I'm coming with you, I need to see my options."

Patrick nods as he looks at her, slowly watching as Vera unbuckles herself out of the passenger seat and climbs out after him. When they make it inside the aura of brewing coffee was filling the air, making their coffee cravings reach a whole new level.

"Too many options," Vera finally says with a chuckle, pulling out her wallet as it was their turn to order," I'll just get whatever your getting."

"That'll be an iced macchiato, 16 oz," Patrick clarifies, walking up to the cashier as his eyes never leave his credit card.

"Iced macchiato, 16 oz?" the familiar lady asks.

"Yes ma'am, and make that two, Morgan." Patricks says, "two separate orders."

Morgan nods as she adds in the order, casually asking him to swipe his card before sending him off towards the pick-up side. After paying for her drink she goes after Patrick, noticing the bothered look in his eyes as she goes to stand next to him.

"Morgan?" Vera questions.

"Yeah," Patrick nods as he looks down at the watch that lay on his wrist, "don't worry about her, she isn't worth the time of day."

With that being said they stood silent, three minutes in of silence their orders were called, and walking out of the shop was surprisingly no different. "Hey," Vera says as they climb into his truck, "you really don't... have to talk about it."

"There's not much to talk about anyway," Patrick simply says, looking over at her as he starts his car with ease, "but thanks."

The drive back was casual, they conversed a bit about work and such. Anything was better than silence. When they make it to the house Patrick slowly switches gears to park and doesn't say a word, he notices Vera's hand resting on the compartment and doesn't hesitate to take it in his.

"Is your wrist any better?" he asks gently, flipping her hand over and gingerly tracing out her delicate fingers with his.

"It's healed," Vera nods, looking up at him curiously only to find him already looking back at her, analyzing her eyes, "it's not that hand." Vera admits with a nervous smirk, "it was my right one... that was sprained."

"I know," Patrick says with a slight nod, brushing his hand over the back of hers for the last time, easily putting it back down as he goes to pull his coffee out from the cup holder, "I was there, remember?"