Chapter 10: The Vision

It was the next day.

Sebastian didn't talk much when Vera got back the other night, which she found oddly relieving. Usually with Patrick over he'd complain about the littlest things the following night, whether it was her words or her actions towards the young adonis next door.

The same morning, Sebastian was nowhere to be seen, he took her car and left the house. He might as well go pick up some milk, Vera sighs as she swipes open her phone, punching in a text before hitting send. She waits for the text to send before proceeding down the stairs, with her hand still gripped onto the end of the railing she twists her self around, facing the very entrance of the kitchen.

The room felt hollow and empty when she stepped towards the fridge, she's always loved having a busy kitchen, the people she cared about scattered around the beautiful, round table, helping themselves to the food that was set out for them to enjoy. Vera noticed that she's hardly ever had something like that in her life, and Patrick's grill-out was what helped her open her eyes to what she's been missing out on.

Vera pulls out a dozen of eggs from the fridge and places the carton on the kitchen table, stretching over the counter for the wide pan that sat neatly in one of the categorized kitchen cabinets. Plunking the pan onto the very end of the stove she lights it, placing a knob of butter into the pan. As the pan heats up, she hears footsteps at the front door, followed by three loud knocks, "It's open, honey!" she says, assuming it's was just Sebastian.

The man at the door walks in, a box at hand. Vera could tell it wasn't Sebastian, the footstep pattern was different from Sebastian's but still very recognizable. "Hey," he smiles, placing the small box on the kitchen table.

"Oh, it's you," Vera says in a smile, looking up at the man who was already gleaming at her, "What brings you here?"

"I forgot to get you a house warming gift," Patrick smirks, "I noticed you and Sebastian don't have the most authentic champagne, wine, and beer bottle openers so I got you a set."

Vera turns down the stove and turns to grab the carton of eggs, getting a better look at the genial man who was already leaning against the counter, closely watching her cook, "That's so nice of you, Patrick, thank you," Vera grins, putting the eggs down to take a good look at the boxed set, "How'd you sleep?"

Patrick looks up at her from the pan, giving her an obnoxious glare but instantly reassuring her with a chuckle, "Don't even get me started."

"It couldn't have been that bad," Vera laughs, cracking in the first egg, "you weren't that wasted."

"What did I do yesterday," Patrick sighs with a smile, earning a giggle from Vera, "please tell me."

"You asked me for some help."

"With what?"

"Clothes," Vera says emotionlessly, holding her lips together, failing to hide her smile.

"Clothes?" Patrick winces, chuckling in embarrassment as he runs his hand over his face, "I don't think I want to know anymore."

"It's alright," Vera jokes, cracking in another egg before scrambling them with a wooden spoon, "you feel ok this morning?"

"I woke up with a nasty headache," Patrick says simply, "I'm better now though."

"That's good," Vera nods, turning down the stove, "Would you like some coffee, maybe?"

After a quick breakfast with Patrick, Vera's day went by like every other. And with Sebastian gone for almost the entire day, her boredom was inevitable, "Jesus! Where the hell were you Sebastian?"

Sebastian came in through the door with a grocery bag at hand, closing the door behind him he turns to glare at Vera, "work just held me back, you know how it can be," Sebastian states.

"You could've answered my calls, sweetie," Vera sighs, getting up from the couch, "I was worried sick."

"Stay away from me," Sebastian states, slowly leaning over to place the bag on the floor.

"Why?" Vera asks softly, crossing her arms as she stands at the entrance of the living room, "What's the matter-"

"Why'd you go to his place last night?"

"To who's?"

"Patrick's"

"I told you I went over there to help him out, Seb, I didn't think it would bother you-"

"It bothers me enough that he offers to drive you places," Sebastian scoffs, "how can you trust this man? He's lying to you about everything."

"Like what?"

"Your blackouts."

"Okay, okay first of all," Vera snaps, "I have blackout medications, and the sightings and dreams... I'm not sure what they are yet but"

"Oh cut this bullshit, Vera," Sebastian sighs, "have you gone mad?."

"How dare you say that to me?" Vera shouts back.

She suddenly began to feel tears build-up and immediately turned to face the stairs, she could never handle an argument. Before she even had the chance to go up the stairs, his firm hand got a tight hold of her arm, yanking her harshly back towards him. He began talking again, she could tell he was talking by his tense, moving lips and the alcohol-filled aroma that was hitting her face, his breathe. It was strange because she could hear everything but the words that came out of his moving mouth, she could hear everything except her husbands own voice.

Out of nowhere, her full sense of hearing suddenly came flooding back, a startling figure appearing next to Sebastian before it all came back to her. She gasps at the sight and gets startled by Sebastian's ongoing shouting, the terrible image and noise causing her to sob almost instantly, "Seb, Seb please," she manages to mutter in tears, collapsing to her knees onto the cold floor, "please, stop."

"Why," Sebastian says taking an aggravated tone, "you see your little ghosts again?"

"I-I can't stay in this house tonight," Vera cries, weakly getting up on her feet, "I-I'm going to moms, I'm-I'm sorry."

Sebastian stomps up the stairs, not saying another word he marches into their shared bedroom, shutting the door behind him. Vera looks around before taking a step outside and dialing her mom's number, the uncured, silent breeze instantly helping her clear her mind.

Your call has been forwarded to an- "Shit!" Vera whispers in frustration, carelessly tossing her phone into the grass before hopelessly taking a seat on the stairs, her hands over her eyes.

"Are you ok miss?"