Chapter 16: Friends Over Strangers

..it won't hurt this time

it'll only make you feel better...

you trust me, don't you?

Vera walks down the dark corridor and pushes the heavy door, assuming that the longing voice was coming from the guest room. She walks in and looks around, her surroundings were cold and dark, with no hint of light nor colors other than her own sand-tinted hands. Vera keeps quiet as she hears subtle movements coming from the other bedroom of the unfamiliar house.

Yes, daddy. A young-sounding girl chimed, the sound of her delicate voice whistling through the halls.

Vera's head flicked towards the voice, facing the entrance of the room she had yet to check. She moved in an immediate pace but slowed as she came closer, making it to the end of the hall she sees the little girl again.

Chills run along her spine as she inspects the young, sweet girl. It was about time she saw her again, oh how she reminded her of him. The girl smiles unsurely but still cheerfully runs up to the man, at this time Vera has already creaked the door wide enough for her to slip inside, trying her best to get a glimpse of the man that was playfully twirling his lovely daughter around in his arms.

That's when she saw it. Oh my god.

"Let's go, sweetie... we can't miss our appointment now can we?"

Vera jolts up, frantically looking around as she realizes it was all just a... a vision? Her big, curious eyes dart around the room before eventually trailing over to the other side of the bed, a wave a shock running through her as she sees Patrick sound asleep, next to her with his top off and comfortably laying on his stomach.

She takes in a deep breath as it all came back to her, including what exactly had happened last night. Vera shook her head as she restrained herself from smiling.

This is bad... this is so bad, she chuckles helplessly, strangely not wanting to take back a single thing that happened between her and her gorgeous next door neighbor.

-

The house was quiet when Patrick woke up, without thinking much of it he rose out of bed and pulled on the t-shirt that sat neatly folded on his dresser. He takes a quick look around, and with Vera out of sight he goes on to stroll in to the kitchen, stretching in the process of doing so.

The coffee machine began whirring as there was yet to be any sign of Vera. She would've been here by now... especially at the sound of her morning coffee. After considering that she might've just left out of nowhere he shuts off the machine, leaving him with a single serving of freshly brewed coffee.

Patrick walks over to the fridge and pulls out his phone, his other hand carrying coffee creamer back to his mug, he frenzies through his notifications and sighs as he realizes that none of his notifications were from his messages.

He plops his phone onto the table and takes a seat in front of his brew, his arms propped up as he runs his hands over his face. The last thing that Patrick would've ever wanted was for Vera to be angry with him. Did he do something wrong?

Not even a moment later he gets up from the table, walking into the bathroom he switches on the sink and splashes his face with the cold, streaming water. All he could think of was his situation with Vera, and how he couldn't bear the thought of never seeing her again, even as nothing but a friend.

He couldn't lie to himself anymore... he didn't want to be a friend... in fact, all he wanted to do that morning was show her how much she meant to him, hold her close, kiss her, anything as little as a 'how are you today' but of course... knowing Patrick, he restrained himself from doing so, out of fear that she didn't feel the same way, and that the overwhelming night they spent together was nothing but a road gig to help her get back at Sebastian.

After sitting down and moping at his kitchen table for about an hour or so, he snaps back into reality once he felt the sensation of his silenced phone vibrating against the tabletop, picking it up he sees that it was a text alert from his good friend Sawyer.

S: The wedding day rehearsal was moved, it's going to take place tomorrow at around 8 pm and I'll definitely need my best man there! Sorry if I ruined any plans, I know a guy like you is always very occupied past that hour ;)

P: I'll be there, canceling plans now...oh! And should I wear a suit?

-

The next two days went by like a flash, as well as the actual wedding ceremony that following Saturday morning. Not once did Patrick worry about anything other than how his best friend's big day was going to go, especially when Sawyer has been nothing but a grand guy to work with and to know for all this time.

After climbing into the limo and taking a seat beside the rest of the groomsmen, he momentarily pulls out his flashcards before safely tucking them away again, confident that he won't be needing to review his speech as he was practicing it for weeks beforehand.

"You'll be great," Claire reassures as she watches him stuff away his cards.

"You think?" he responds, turning to face the maid of honor.

"Sure," she nods as she passes him a drink, "as long as you've read them once or twice or... actually thought through all the nice things you put down."

"Guess your right," he chuckles, engaging the conversation with a nod, "Uh, so why didn't you write a speech? Isn't it kind of traditional for the both of us to write one?"

"I'd have to be drunk to do something like that," Claire scolds, taking a gulp of her drink.

"Well, it is a wedding," Patrick smirks, also taking a sip, "no shame of having to get drunk a little early."

Claire fleetingly gazes at him before redirecting her gaze down at her drink, "it's funny for me to say this but... you're quite different."

"Well... how so?" Patrick asks out of wonder, keeping an eye on his glass as he moves it in a circular motion.

"You're a good guy Patrick, an actual delight to talk to," Claire pauses with a laugh, "I'd like to get to know you better sometime."