Chapter 9: i feel lonely

§

Harrison looked at Tom who hadn't said anything in a while. Tom was standing with his arms folded across his chest by the sliding glass door that faced outside. Harrison continued, "I don't like the idea of either of you so much as walking down the street alone. So, until this all blows over, either Tom, Harry, Sam, or I will accompany you everywhere. Home, work, shopping, all of it."

"That's bullshit!" I said, throwing my hands in the air. "I don't want a bodyguard."

"Jesus Christ!" Tom shouted, making all of us look at him. "Did you not listen to a fucking word he just said? If someone isn't with you, Mackie's guys will not hesitate to do something to you. So you either risk getting yourself killed or deal with the fact that we are all in a situation we don't want to be in, and this is the best way to solve it."

"I assume Mackie is the other family," April whispered to me, and I nodded to let her know I thought the same. I looked at Harrison.

"You said until this blows over," I said. He nodded. "When is that going to be?"

"There's no way to know," Harrison said. "It could be next week, could be next month."

"How do we know when it's over?" April asked.

"Once we see that you're no longer being followed."

"How are you positive we're even being followed?" April pressed.

"We had someone check on you," he said. "Some guys were outside the cafe. The same guys who followed us to dinner and the club."

"The same guy who was gonna pick (Y/N) up," Tom mumbled. I looked at him with raised eyebrows.

"I'm sorry, what?" I asked.

"At the club," Tom said, running a hand through his hair. "You were gonna chat up Stan. I saw him, him eyeing you, so I went up to you before he had the chance to do anything."

"So that's why you came up to dance with me?" I said.

"Why else would I dance with you?" Tom quipped.

"Oh fuck off," I said with a roll of my eyes.

"Stan, really?" Harrison said, scrunching up his nose like he just smelled something bad.

"His name is Stan? " April said, turning on me as well. "What, was he like 50 years old?"

"I didn't know his name was Stan!" I said defensively.

"It's his last name," Harrison said. "First name's Sebastian."

"Ah, that's better," April said, holding her hand up to high five me. I did without even looking at her.

"You should've seen him, too," I said. "Fit, Facial hair, bright blue eyes, and I swear his arms-"

"Okay, we're done with that," Harrison said with a slight laugh. April grinned and placed a kiss to his cheek.

"Okay, okay," I said, waving my hands in the air. "I just want to make sure we're all on the same page. April and I got roped into the fucking mafia life, I saw someone get murdered , and now we have to live here for an unknown amount of time so that we don't die? "

"That about sums it up," Sam said, speaking up for the first time as Harry nodded beside him.

"Okay, yeah, yeah, that all makes perfect sense," I said sarcastically. "Yeah. This is just a normal life we live now. Great."

"So are you going to bitch about it for the rest of the time here or-"

"Jesus, Tom," Harrison mumbled, running his hand through his hair. "Give her a break." Tom let out a heavy sigh and left the room, and I thought I heard him mumble something about lines as he walked away.