Chapter 13: Holland Family Commandments

§

"That's Cute," April said, throwing another punch.

"Important," Harrison emphasized. "If you guys hope to survive, it's important you know all twelve rules."

"Alright," I said. "Go on and list 'em."

"The first four have names," Tom said. "Number one is omertà . It's the code of silence"

"Never ever talk to the authorities," Harrison said.

"Omertà," I repeated. "Got it."

"Number two," Tom continued. "Family Secrets. Members can't talk about family business to non-members."

"So," April said, wiping some sweat from her forehead. "Is this technically breaking that rule?"

Tom shrugged. "There's an exception to every rule."

"Or are you just admitting that we're part of the family now?" I joked.

Tom scoffed and grinned. "Careful what you wish for, love. But no, you're not part of the family."

"But I'd say you're connected enough," Harrison added. "It's in your best interest to hear the aspects of the business that will help keep you safe."

"And it's not like we're telling you about or taking you on jobs," Tom said. "Listing our rules is different than talking about business. I'm pretty sure you can find a list of mob family rules online." We all chuckled, and Tom nodded for us to start our next set. "Number three," he said, "is Blood for Blood. If a family member kills another family member, no one can commit murder in revenge unless the boss -me- gives permission." He said proudly pointing to himself.

"Number four," Harrison continued. "No fighting among members."

"Pretty self-explanatory," Tom nodded. Tom and Harrison shared a look I couldn't make out but they didn't say anything to one another. April and I both nodded, so Tom continued. "Those four are pretty standard in every family," Tom said, "but the next eight have been a staple in our family since my granddad was the boss."

With each punch I nailed against the bag, Tom listed a rule:

"Number five: every month, members have to pay the boss and give them a cut on any side deals. Number six: never be seen with cops. Seven: don't go to pubs and clubs alone. Always bring another family member."

"That's why Tom had to come when we went out that night," Harrison explained. "It kind of just goes with the idea that there's strength in numbers."

"Right," Tom said, then continued. "Eight: always be available for duty. Nine: appointments must be respected. Ten: wives and significant others must be treated with respect. Eleven: when asked for information, the answer must be the truth. And twelve: money cannot be appropriated if it belongs to other families."

After his speech, I didn't hesitate to start asking questions. "Where do the members get the money to pay you?" I asked, exhaust but still punching.

"Any deal that goes down or assignment I give usually involves money," Tom explained. "Whether it's a major assignment or something a family member picks up on their own, I get some of the cut."