Chapter 23: gala

§

By the time the gala came, Tom and I had already gone out to get a dress. Now, here I was, zipping up the back of the most gorgeous, lace, black, mermaid dress I had ever seen (the picture is up there, if you don't like the dress just imagine something else.) . I was in my room with April, both of us doing our hair and makeup. While my dress was black, April's was white with a tan underlining. I straightened my hair, and she curled hers in a half up-do. I wore striking makeup with red lipstick, while she went with a more subtle look. My heels were red, hers were tan. By the time we were both ready, Tom was knocking at my bedroom door. He cracked it open and stuck his head in, his hand covering his eyes.

"Everyone decent?" he asked.

"Yes, weirdo," April said with a smile. Tom opened his eyes, and his smile faltered for only a moment as his eyes scanned over me.

"Wow," he said. "You look stunning."

"Thanks," April said sarcastically before I could even open my mouth.

Tom chuckled. "You look beautiful, April."

"Yeah, yeah, yeah," she said with a teasing roll of her eyes. "I'm going to go find Harrison."

When April left the room, Tom shut the door behind her and locked it. I felt myself blush as he walked over to me. He tugged his lower lip between his teeth and shook his head at me. "I have no words," he said, brushing some hair behind my ear when he approached me. "Stunning actually isn't good enough."

"Shut up," I said, biting my own lip. I awkwardly folded my arms across my stomach. "I don't even feel like myself."

"You look like a new version of you," he said. "There's nothing wrong with that."

"You just like when I look like this," I said.

"That's not fair," Tom said. "I like when you're wearing sweatpants too." He put his hands on my waist, pulling me close to him. "Or nothing. I like when you wear nothing, too."

"Are you ever not horny?" I teased, slapping his chest before nibbling my lip again.

"Stop biting that fucking lip," Tom laughed lightly. He ran his thumb over my lower lip and smiled at me.

Tom looked especially attractive in his black slacks and white button up. He had on a black tie, and his hair was done perfectly.

"I have something for you," he said. I cocked my head to the side and looked at him.

"What do you mean?" I asked. he stood up and walked over to my dresser, and I realized there was a box there I hadn't seen before. He must've just brought it when he came in the room. He handed the box to me, and I eyed him suspiciously.

"Open it," he said, nodding his head at the box. An amused smirk grew on my face as I did as he said. However, the smirk immediately disappeared when I saw what was inside.

"A gun?" I hissed, my eyes growing wide. I stood up from the shock, almost letting the box fall from my grasp.

"And a thigh holster!" Tom said, motioning to the bit of fabric that laid inside the box. I could tell he was trying to keep his tone light. "I thought you could wear it to the gala." I eyed him suspiciously before picking up the gun.

"Am I supposed to be worried about tonight?" I asked, turning the pistol over in my hands.

"No," Tom said. He grabbed my chin and forced me to look at him. "Nothing bad is gonna happen, alright? Tonight is gonna be fun and we haven't heard any talk of threats."

"Then why are you giving me this?" I asked. "If you're so sure, why are you giving me a gun?"

Tom sighed and hung his head before looking at me again. "Because losing you isn't something I can handle, okay? And if I'm wrong and something goes down tonight, I'd rather you be armed and ready than unprepared because I told you you'd be fine."

I understood what he was saying, but the worry stayed in my chest. Everything was fine when he was teaching me to shoot at the range or boxing in the ring, but the idea of me having to put it all to use made it too real. Tom took the gun and thigh holster from me and got on his knees in front of me. I put my hands on his shoulders as he lifted my leg, kissing up my calf. He slid the holster up my leg and secured it around my thigh. I felt him nuzzle his face against my skin and press his lips to my inner thigh before he set my leg back on the ground. He grabbed my gun and sat back on his heels. He ejected the magazine and showed me that it was loaded. "Fifteen bullets," he said before clicking the magazine back into place. "With your shot though-" He smirked. "-you should only ever need one."

"Ha ha," I said with a roll of my eyes. He chuckled and showed me that the safety was on before sliding the pistol into place in my holster. He let the skirt of my dress fall back into place before he stood up and put his arms around my waist.

"I've got your six," he whispered, brushing his nose against mine.

"And I've got yours."

Tom and I walked out of my room and met the others at the bar. Harrison was making some drinks for us to pregame before the gala. None of us were planning on getting trashy. This was, after all, a gala. Not some college frat party. Still, I was nervous and wanted to be a little buzzed before I was in public. I jumped onto the counter and took the moscow mule that Harrison had made me. The six of us chatted and drank for about an hour before Tom announced it was time to leave. He and Harrison both opted out of drinking, deciding to remain completely sober for the night. I knew it was part of their constant need to stay on their toes.

We got to the gala about fifteen minutes after it started which was perfect. Fashionably late. We found our table and sat, waiting for a waiter to come and bring us the food we had ordered beforehand. Tom was more handsy than he had been in a while, constantly having his hand on my thigh or rubbing the back of my neck. From time to time, he'd lean close to me and whisper something dirty in my ear. Important people were making speeches and I was getting filled up with champagne. We were all having a blast, and I even started to forget about the pistol pressed against my thigh.

"Mm, I have to go to the bathroom," I whispered to Tom, pressing a kiss to his cheek after another speech.

"I'll go with you," he said, starting to stand up from the table.

"No, sit," I said. "I'll be back in a hot second."

"Just let me walk you," he said.

"I know what let me walk you means," I teased. "It means I'll sneak into the bathroom with you for a quickie ."

"And what's so wrong with that?" Tom asked, kissing the back of my hand. I laughed and gave his face a playful shove.

"Be back in a minute."

I left Tom and headed to the bathroom, quickly using the restroom and fixing up my hair. The smile on my face was almost permanent, my cheeks hurting from how hard I was grinning. The night was going perfectly.

Until I stepped out of the bathroom and everything went black.

~
Make sure to vote
~